Panun Kashmir backs Narendra Modi over debate on Article 370
Jammu: Panun Kashmir, an organisation of displaced Kashmiri Pandits, on Monday supported the BJP`s Prime Ministerial candidate Narendra Modi`s suggestion to hold debate on Article 370.
"Political Affairs Committee (PAC) of our organisation has welcomed the statement of Modi on debate over Article 370. We strongly bat for it", President Panun Kashmir Ashwani Chrungoo said here today.
Chrungoo said that it needs to be clarified that the Article 370 is a temporary provision in the Indian constitution which was never intended to be a permanent statute.
"In the debates leading up to the framing of the constitution, the worthy members of the constituent assembly never favoured it as a permanent feature.
"So much so that the then PM Pandit Jawahar Lal Nehru while referring to the Article said that it will get eroded of its own over the period of time", he said.
The Article 370 has always nourished a feeling of exclusivism among a certain section of the populace giving rise to fissiparous tendencies. Moreover, it has provided a constitutional justification for nourishing separatism in the Jammu and Kashmir state, he claimed.
The so-called package for return for the displaced Pandits formulated by J-K government has not taken into account the ground realities existing in the state, Panun Kashmir Spokesman Virender Raina said.
"The package lacks in substance and is replete with infirmities. We have the fate of previous such packages in front of us and the current one announced by the government does not inspire any confidence in the displaced community", he added.
The issues of ethnic cleansing, genocide and mass exodus of the Pandit community cannot be put under the carpet by announcing these so-called packages, he alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3