Pilgrims can’t start Amarnath Yatra before June 25
Srinagar: Hindu pilgrims reaching North and South Kashmir transit camps for the annual Amarnath Yatra would not be allowed to proceed further before June 25, the official date when the pilgrimage to the cave shrine begins, officials said here on Saturday.
"The schedule cannot be changed for the pilgrims who have already reached the Yatra transit camps," Navin Kumar Chowdhary, chief executive officer of the Shri Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB) which manages the affairs of the Yatra, said.
"The Yatra begins on June 25 and the pilgrims must follow the schedule for their own safety," he added.
Inclement weather on the Yatra route is posing a major challenge for the SASB which is clearing the tracks to the cave shrine.
Reports from South Kashmir`s Sheshnag, Pissu Top and Panchtarni halts said a thick blanket of snow still covered these places.
Police on Saturday stopped several vehicles carrying pilgrims at the North Kashmir`s Manigam and South Kashmir`s Mir Bazar transit camps.
"We have been issued orders to prohibit pilgrims from moving towards the shrine till Monday", a police official said.
Jammu and Kashmir Governor NN Vohra, who is also the chairman of the SASB, visited North Kashmir`s Baltal base camp early Saturday to take stock of the arrangements for the smooth conduct of the Amarnath Yatra, an official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Delhi Assembly passes resolution against MHA notification: As it happened