PM Modi favours PPP model in power sector
Uri: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday favoured Public Private Partnership model in power sector and described renewable sources of energy as the answer to the country`s growing power needs.
Inaugurating the 240-Megawatt Uri-II Hydro Electric Project (HEP) located near the Line of Control in Baramulla district of Kashmir, he said renewable energy, including hydro power, is fast developing as an alternative to thermal power.
He cited the success of Bhutan in developing alternative sources of power as an example which "impressed" him during his visit to the Himalayan kingdom last month.
Modi also supported the PPP model to improve the power infrastructure of the country.
Taking a dig at the previous UPA government, he said had the issue of establishing transmission lines been taken up by it in right earnest, the situation would have been much better now.
He also announced starting of Class XI in the local Kendriya Vidyalaya from this month following the demand of locals who met him during his visit.
"The future of a country is bright if its people demand education. I am very happy to make this announcement," he said.
The Prime Minister dedicated the power project to the nation in the presence of Jammu and Kashmir Governor N N Vohra, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah and top officials of National Hydroelectric Power Corporation (NHPC).
This is the second power project on Jhelum river in Uri area and is located downstream of 480-MW Uri-I HEP, which is already operational.
The Uri-II HEP has a concrete gravity dam which is 52-metre high and 157-metre long with four spillways of nine metres each.
The 4.23-km head race tunnel carries water from the dam to the powerhouse, which has four units of 60 MW each designed to generate 1,124 million units of electricity in a year.
The work on the power project was completed in time despite a massive earthquake striking the area on October 8, 2005 two weeks after Hindustan Construction Company (HCC) started work on it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test