PoK refugees stage protest in Jammu
Jammu: An organisation representation Pakistan occupied Kashmir refugees today staged a protest demanding permanent rehabilitation package of Rs 1,700 crore from the government.
Led by General Secretary of PoK Refugees Front (POKRF), Rachhpal Singh Chib, over 300 refugees, including women, assembled near Press Club here and attempted to march towards Civil Secretariat, but were stopped by police, leading to a clash.
The refugees were demanding rehabilitation package of Rs 1,700 crore, which was submitted by state government to central government, on the patten of one-time settlement package for refugees declared by the Centre.
The state government had submitted a proposal to the Centre in August last year but it has not been approved by the Union government till date, Chib said.
"There is no visible action by the state government. Even the team of 22 Central secretaries led by Cabinet secretary Ajit Seth did not bother to take assessment of the submitted package and discuss the refugee issues," he said.
Singh said the Front appealed to all refugees to boycott the ruling political alliance of National Conference and Congress in state and national polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part II
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part III
- Hafiz Saeed warns of jihad to free Pak rivers from India
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur