PoK refugees stage protest in Jammu
Jammu: An organisation representation Pakistan occupied Kashmir refugees today staged a protest demanding permanent rehabilitation package of Rs 1,700 crore from the government.
Led by General Secretary of PoK Refugees Front (POKRF), Rachhpal Singh Chib, over 300 refugees, including women, assembled near Press Club here and attempted to march towards Civil Secretariat, but were stopped by police, leading to a clash.
The refugees were demanding rehabilitation package of Rs 1,700 crore, which was submitted by state government to central government, on the patten of one-time settlement package for refugees declared by the Centre.
The state government had submitted a proposal to the Centre in August last year but it has not been approved by the Union government till date, Chib said.
"There is no visible action by the state government. Even the team of 22 Central secretaries led by Cabinet secretary Ajit Seth did not bother to take assessment of the submitted package and discuss the refugee issues," he said.
Singh said the Front appealed to all refugees to boycott the ruling political alliance of National Conference and Congress in state and national polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report