Police teargas mob protesting death of civilian in Sopore
Srinagar: Police today fired teargas shells to disperse a mob protesting the killing of a civilian during an exchange of fire between militants and securitymen at Sopore that left two persons dead.
Over 300 angry residents marched towards a police station after burial of one of the deceased Tanvir Ahmad and raised slogans against security personnel, police said.
They said when the protestors defied orders to disperse; policemen used batons and fired teargas shells. The mob then turned violent and pelted stones on the policemen but no one
However, the locals alleged that the police used batons and lobbed teargas shells without any provocation.
They also alleged that Ahmad was killed by police when securitymen were attacked by militants last evening at Sopore, 55 kms from here. However, police maintained that Ahmad was killed in an exchange of fire between them and militants. Four others were injured.
The situation in the town was tense but under control, officials said.
Meanwhile, shops and business establishments in Lal chowk, Koker Bazar, Maisuma, Budshah Chowk, Red Cross road, Madina Chowk and Gowkadal remained closed in protest against the killing of Khursheed Ahmad Parray in an exchange of fire between militants and CRPF at Lal Chowk area here yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'