Poonch fake encounter: NHRC seeks enquiry reports
New Delhi: The NHRC on Wednesday issued notice to
Jammu and Kashmir Police and Defence Secretary in connection
with the alleged fake encounter in Poonch and directed them to
submit the magisterial and other enquiry reports in the case
within eight weeks.
The Commission has also asked the Superintendent of
Police, Poonch to explain as to why the intimation regarding
the death in police action was not reported to it within 48
hours in the prescribed format as per the NHRC revised
guidelines communicated to all the Chief Ministers in May,
Taking congnisance of complaints that a civilan was
shot dead by an SPO and an army jawan on August 7, the
Commission issued notices to the Director General of Police,
Jaamu and Kashmir, District Magistrate and Superintendent of
Police, Poonch and the Secretary, Ministry of Defence.
"The Commission has sought magisterial enquiry report,
post-mortem report along with report of independent
investigation within eight weeks," an NHRC spokesman said.
It directed them to "take appropriate action with regard
to the investigation of the case as per guidelines laid down
by the Commission," the spokesperson said.
The army on Sunday had claimed to have killed a Pakistani
militant and divisional commander of Lashker-e-Taiba, Abu
Usman, after a 12-hour gunbattle at Surankote area of Poonch
district in Jammu region. However, during the probe it was
found that the deceased was a civilian.
A Special Police Officer (SPO) Noor Hussain and an army
jawan Abdul Majeed, who allegedly staged the killing of the
unidentified mentally challenged civilian from Rajouri as part
of a conspiracy to gain personal benefits were arrested and
booked for murder on Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi