Protests mar Eid celebrations in Srinagar, 3 cops injured
Srinagar: Violent protests after congregational prayers on Monday marred Eid-ul-Fitr celebrations in the city as a mob set ablaze a police vehicle and beat up three policeman in Eidgah area.
As soon as the Eid prayers concluded at Eidgah in the Old City, hundreds of youth blocked the road and stopped a police vehicle on its way to Soura from Qamarwari and asked the policemen to alight from the vehicle, official sources said.
They said the cops were then beaten by the mob but they managed to escape from the spot. Three policeman, including an Assistant Sub Inspector, were injured in the incident.
The mob then set ablaze the police vehicle, the sources said.
Additional police and paramilitary personnel were rushed to the spot to restore law and order in the area, the sources said.
Police had to fire several rounds of tear smoke shells and even fired few aerial shots to disperse the mob, they said.
Although officials did not cite any reason for the sudden outbreak of violence in the area, the separatist camp maintained it was a reaction to state government`s decision to impose restrictions on Hurriyat Conference chairman Mirwaiz Umer Farooq and other leaders, which prevented them from offering even Eid prayers.
The state government had yesterday put the top brass of separatist leadership including Mirwaiz, Syed Ali Shah Geelani and Mohammad Yasin Malik under house arrest as a preventive measure to maintain law and order.
Mirwaiz, who addressed the Eid gathering over phone, said, "If the government wants peace in Kashmir, it needs to resolve the issues by addressing them."
"Leaving politics aside, imposing curbs on people and preventing them from discharging their religious duties is interference in our religious matters," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000