Protests over power outages in Jammu
Jammu: Protesting frequent unscheduled power cuts in the city, locals and activists of several organisations on Wednesday hit the streets blocking traffic for several hours.
They also chanted anti-government slogans and torched effigies of the government demanding adequate power supply.
Alleging that Jammu was facing a severe power crisis, they threatened to launch a major agitation if their demand was not met.
In a novel protest, workers of the Peoples Democratic Party tonsured their heads and took out demonstrations.
Over 500 people, including women and children, blocked R S Pura road for two hours and staged protest rallies against power cuts which, they said, ranged from 10 to 12 hours.
They demanded adequate power supply on the pattern of Kashmir which, the protesters said, had four-hour power cut on weekly basis.
Some 200 people assembled in Talab Tilloo area and blocked the main road.
Muslims in Talab Katika also held protests saying the power outages were affecting fasting during the holy month of Ramazan.
Sadhus, camping in a temple in Purani Mandi area for their onward journey to the Amarnath cave shrine, also staged demonstrations.
"The life has become miserable due to long power cuts. The govermnment should provide adequate power supply during the Amarnath pilgrimage," Rameshwar Maharaj, the temple head priest, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...