Protests over power outages in Jammu
Jammu: Protesting frequent unscheduled power cuts in the city, locals and activists of several organisations on Wednesday hit the streets blocking traffic for several hours.
They also chanted anti-government slogans and torched effigies of the government demanding adequate power supply.
Alleging that Jammu was facing a severe power crisis, they threatened to launch a major agitation if their demand was not met.
In a novel protest, workers of the Peoples Democratic Party tonsured their heads and took out demonstrations.
Over 500 people, including women and children, blocked R S Pura road for two hours and staged protest rallies against power cuts which, they said, ranged from 10 to 12 hours.
They demanded adequate power supply on the pattern of Kashmir which, the protesters said, had four-hour power cut on weekly basis.
Some 200 people assembled in Talab Tilloo area and blocked the main road.
Muslims in Talab Katika also held protests saying the power outages were affecting fasting during the holy month of Ramazan.
Sadhus, camping in a temple in Purani Mandi area for their onward journey to the Amarnath cave shrine, also staged demonstrations.
"The life has become miserable due to long power cuts. The govermnment should provide adequate power supply during the Amarnath pilgrimage," Rameshwar Maharaj, the temple head priest, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Rumoured girlfriend Iulia Vantur to croon Salman Khan's 'Main Hoon Hero Tera'?
- 'Online purchase of sexual wellness products more preferred in Tier III cities'
- 2nd Test, Centurion: South Africa vs New Zealand - Preview
- US Open 2016: Serena Williams shoulders burden of history at Flushing Meadows
- Shahid Kapoor opens up about his Bollywood struggle! - Read more