Pulwama encounter: Army Captain, 3 ultras killed
Pulwama: An Army officer and three militants were killed in a 30-hour long fierce gunbattle in Pulwama district of south Kashmir on Thursday in the second major operation in eight days.
The gunbattle broke out when militants hiding in a cluster of houses fired at a joint search party of police and troops of 42 Rashtriya Rifles in Mir Mohalla Dadasir, 40 kms from here, police said.
Captain Deepak Sharma was killed in the encounter that started on Wednesday in which three jawans and a policeman were injured.
The operation to flush out the militants was suspended on Wednesday night due to inclement weather. It resumed this morning and the exchange of fire went on till afternoon between the two sides, police said adding three militants were killed.
The Captain is the second Army officer to be killed in an encounter in Kashmir in eight days. On February 24, Captain Devinder Singh Jass was killed in a gunbattle in Sopore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi