Pulwama encounter: Army Captain, 3 ultras killed
Pulwama: An Army officer and three militants were killed in a 30-hour long fierce gunbattle in Pulwama district of south Kashmir on Thursday in the second major operation in eight days.
The gunbattle broke out when militants hiding in a cluster of houses fired at a joint search party of police and troops of 42 Rashtriya Rifles in Mir Mohalla Dadasir, 40 kms from here, police said.
Captain Deepak Sharma was killed in the encounter that started on Wednesday in which three jawans and a policeman were injured.
The operation to flush out the militants was suspended on Wednesday night due to inclement weather. It resumed this morning and the exchange of fire went on till afternoon between the two sides, police said adding three militants were killed.
The Captain is the second Army officer to be killed in an encounter in Kashmir in eight days. On February 24, Captain Devinder Singh Jass was killed in a gunbattle in Sopore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'