PWD works in J&K not up to mark: CAG
Jammu: The Comptroller and Auditor General has rapped Jammu and Kashmir Public Works Department (PWD), saying despite huge spending its work was not up to the mark.
"Despite huge spending in the sector (PWD), the outcome has not been up to the mark primarily due to non- prioritisation of schemes," stated the CAG report for the year ended on March 31, 2011.
Besides non-prioritisation of schemes, PWD took up unapproved schemes for execution and spent huge money on them without ensuring that the land on which the works are being executed are free from all encumbrances, it said.
State Roads and Buildings Department is mandated with the construction and maintenance of roads, bridges and buildings in the state in government sector.
The report said financial management of PWD department was inadequate due to lack of proper budgetary control manifesting in persistent excesses over allocations, rush of expenditure at the far end of the year, delays in release of funds and excess release of loan component to field offices.
The programme implementation was inefficient and suffered from delays in completion of works, execution of works without invitation of tenders, irregular extensions of works, unrealistic estimation and cost and time overruns, execution of works without accord of administrative approvals and technical sanctions, the report said.
Quality control measures were deficient due to non-establishment of material testing laboratories and non-conduct of adequate quality control tests, the CAG said.
"Internal control mechanism in the department to evaluate, monitor the execution of projects was virtually non-existent," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video