Separatist leader found dead on roadside in Baramulla
Srinagar: A separatist leader belonging to moderate Hurriyat Conference was found dead on Thursday on a roadside in Baramulla district of Kashmir.
Abdul Rashid Sofi alias Gazi, a member of Hurriyat constituent People`s League, was found dead with an injury on his head this morning on Nowpora-Kreeri road in Baramulla.
Sofi had gone to Anantnag district yesterday to condole the death of People`s League chairman Mukhtar Ahmad Waza`s mother but did not return back home at Kakkerhamaam in Baramulla.
"The police have sent the body to the hospital where the postmortem was conducted. An injury has been found on the head.
"According to initial investigations, circumstantial evidences of the spot suggest that it is a hit and run case. However, police has taken the cognisance," he said.
Sofi`s family has claimed that he was returning home with his colleagues by train.
"They were all together till Amargarh station and he had to get down at the next station. How he reached Kreeri is not understandable?" asked Sofi`s family.
Expressing shock over Sofi`s death, Waza alleged that "he was killed under a conspiracy aimed to sabotage the freedom voice in Kashmir."
The Hurriyat leader demanded a high level judicial probe into Sofi`s death.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today