Seven BJP activists arrested in Srinagar
Srinagar: Police Wednesday arrested seven BJP
activists as they made a vain bid to hoist the national flag
at Lal Chowk here, which had been turned into a fortress to
foil the party`s plan.
A lone BJP supporter appeared at Regal Chowk, less
than 100 yards away from Clock Tower at Lal Chowk, carrying a
national flag at 8.30 am, officials said.
Srikant, a resident of Gurgaon in Haryana, was
apprehended by police personnel before he could make his way
to the venue for hoisting the flag. He was taken to Kothibagh
Six other BJP activists were arrested near a prominent
hotel here for violating prohibitory orders at around 11.00
am, officials said.
They said all the six arrested persons were from
outside the state and police is trying to ascertain their
Although JKLF chairman Mohammad Yasin Malik had called
for a march to Lal Chowk, there has been no attempt by the
group so far to take out a march. Moderate Hurriyat leaders
including Bilal Gani Lone have supported Malik`s call.
The separatist leaders, who went underground over the
weekend to avoid arrest, were camping in a hotel in the
vicinity of Lal Chowk last night but stringent security has
ensured that they are not able to carry out their plans of
hoisting their flag so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees