Seven BJP activists arrested in Srinagar
Srinagar: Police Wednesday arrested seven BJP
activists as they made a vain bid to hoist the national flag
at Lal Chowk here, which had been turned into a fortress to
foil the party`s plan.
A lone BJP supporter appeared at Regal Chowk, less
than 100 yards away from Clock Tower at Lal Chowk, carrying a
national flag at 8.30 am, officials said.
Srikant, a resident of Gurgaon in Haryana, was
apprehended by police personnel before he could make his way
to the venue for hoisting the flag. He was taken to Kothibagh
Six other BJP activists were arrested near a prominent
hotel here for violating prohibitory orders at around 11.00
am, officials said.
They said all the six arrested persons were from
outside the state and police is trying to ascertain their
Although JKLF chairman Mohammad Yasin Malik had called
for a march to Lal Chowk, there has been no attempt by the
group so far to take out a march. Moderate Hurriyat leaders
including Bilal Gani Lone have supported Malik`s call.
The separatist leaders, who went underground over the
weekend to avoid arrest, were camping in a hotel in the
vicinity of Lal Chowk last night but stringent security has
ensured that they are not able to carry out their plans of
hoisting their flag so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Meet Kirti Bharti, the new topper of Bihar Intermediate exams in Arts stream!
- Agra boy seeks PM Modi, CM Akhilesh's help for his blood cancer treatment
- Armoured cars now mandatory to accompany security forces in Kashmir
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II