Shinde begins 3-day visit to J&K
Jammu: Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde on Friday began a 3-day visit to Jammu and Kashmir from Poonch district to review the security situation along the Indo-Pak border and hinterland as well as cross LoC trade.
Shinde, who arrived here this morning from New Delhi, was received at the Jammu airport by Minister of State for Home Nasir Aslam Wani, Director General of Police Ashok Prasad, senior officers of paramilitary forces and the provincial administration.
He directly headed to Poonch district in a BSF chopper, where he is scheduled to visit Chakan-Da-Bagh, a crucial point for travel and trade between the two sides of Line of Control (LOC), officials said.
He will review the progress of the cross LOC trade and also meet a delegation of traders to discuss their problems, who are expected to present a memorandum to Shinde.
The Union Home Minister is scheduled to return from Poonch this afternoon and fly to Suchetgarh forward area in R S Pura border belt in Jammu district where he will review the security situation at Octerio Border Out Post, they said.
Shinde will also take stock of the situation prevailing at the International Border in Jammu sector, especially in the backdrop of a 550 metres long tunnel connecting Pakistan and India being uncovered at Chechwal in Samba sector.
He will meet several local delegations, including one from the Congress party, in the circuit house before his departure to the Kashmir Valley.
In the state`s summer capital Srinagar, he is scheduled to chair a meeting of the unified headquarters tomorrow to review cross-border infiltration in Jammu and Kashmir.
Shinde had made his maiden tour to the state after assuming the charge of the Home department by visiting Leh and Kargil towns last week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore