Shutdown called by Syed Ali Geelani cripple Kashmir
Srinagar: Life was paralysed across Kashmir Saturday as security was heightened in view of a protest shutdown called by hardline separatist leader Syed Ali Geelani against alleged human rights violations.
Authorities moved in heavy police and paramilitary Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) reinforcements in the old city and uptown areas of this Jammu and Kashmir summer capital early morning to enforce strict restrictions.
The restrictions were imposed in areas falling under five police stations of old city and Maisuma localities in view of the strike called by Geelani, who heads the hardline separatist Hurriyat Conference.
Security forces sealed roads by erecting barricades and using razor-fitted wire coils, disallowing any pedestrian and vehicular movement.
Shops, businesses, government offices and banks in the city were shut but some private vehicles were seen plying in the civil line areas. Security, however, is tight in the uptown areas as well.
Reports from other towns said the strike threw life out of gear with authorities making strict security arrangements to maintain law and order.
"The situation in Kashmir is by and large peaceful and adequate security arrangements have been made to maintain law and order," a senior police officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video