Singhpura-Viloo tunnel to benefit Kishtwar residents: Congress
Jammu: The construction of Singhpura-Viloo tunnel in Kishtwar district of Jammu and Kashmir will improve the socio-economy status of the local residents, former Congress minister and MLA G M Saroori said on Wednesday.
"Construction of Singhpura-Viloo tunnel will not only give an alternative road connectivity to the Kashmir Valley but also improve the socio-economy status of the people of the area," Saroori said after laying the foundation stone of Shinghpura Model Village in Chatroo tehsil of the district.
Shinghpura Model Village, which would include facilities like parks, shops and other necessary infrastructure, would be constructed at a cost of Rs 2.50 crore, he said.
Garrison Reserve Engineering Force is busy in preparing the pre-feasibility report of the tunnel so that the work on this important tunnel could be started, Saroori said.
Singhpura village is at a distance of 65-km from district headquarter Kishtwar and came into lime light with the government announcement to construct Shinghpura-Viloo tunnel, an alternative road link to Kashmir valley connection Chenab valley with Anantnag district of Kashmir province.
With the construction of 5.5-km long Singhpora-Viloo tunnel at a cost of nearly Rs 500 crore, the Kashmir Valley which mostly remains cut off from the rest of the world will get all weather road connectivity, he said.
The Congress MLA from Inderwal added that it will be the shortest route to Valley from Lakhanpur once Bhaderwah-Bani-Basoli road project gets completed.
Large number of people from Shinghpura and its adjoining areas assembled to witness the event in the village.
The Central government was making sincere efforts for the construction of Singhpura-Viloo tunnel, he said.
Once the tunnel project is completed, Shinghpura would be the first village for the tourists coming to Jammu province from Kashmir Valley, therefore there is an immediate need to raise the living and infrastructural standards of the village, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NT Awards 2016: Zeenews.com bags 'Best News Channel Website' honour
- Son of Kota Central jail prisoner clears IIT entrance exam
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- At least 18 killed by a roadside bomb in Somalia
- 'Too much' or 'too little' sleep can raise diabetes risk in men
- 7th Pay Commission: No decision yet on increase in allowances; pay hike to be implemented from Jan 2016
- Ephedrine haul case: Accused gets threat not to turn approver
- Yo Yo Honey Singh battled bipolar disease, thanks doctor for treatment!