Singhpura-Viloo tunnel to benefit Kishtwar residents: Congress
Jammu: The construction of Singhpura-Viloo tunnel in Kishtwar district of Jammu and Kashmir will improve the socio-economy status of the local residents, former Congress minister and MLA G M Saroori said on Wednesday.
"Construction of Singhpura-Viloo tunnel will not only give an alternative road connectivity to the Kashmir Valley but also improve the socio-economy status of the people of the area," Saroori said after laying the foundation stone of Shinghpura Model Village in Chatroo tehsil of the district.
Shinghpura Model Village, which would include facilities like parks, shops and other necessary infrastructure, would be constructed at a cost of Rs 2.50 crore, he said.
Garrison Reserve Engineering Force is busy in preparing the pre-feasibility report of the tunnel so that the work on this important tunnel could be started, Saroori said.
Singhpura village is at a distance of 65-km from district headquarter Kishtwar and came into lime light with the government announcement to construct Shinghpura-Viloo tunnel, an alternative road link to Kashmir valley connection Chenab valley with Anantnag district of Kashmir province.
With the construction of 5.5-km long Singhpora-Viloo tunnel at a cost of nearly Rs 500 crore, the Kashmir Valley which mostly remains cut off from the rest of the world will get all weather road connectivity, he said.
The Congress MLA from Inderwal added that it will be the shortest route to Valley from Lakhanpur once Bhaderwah-Bani-Basoli road project gets completed.
Large number of people from Shinghpura and its adjoining areas assembled to witness the event in the village.
The Central government was making sincere efforts for the construction of Singhpura-Viloo tunnel, he said.
Once the tunnel project is completed, Shinghpura would be the first village for the tourists coming to Jammu province from Kashmir Valley, therefore there is an immediate need to raise the living and infrastructural standards of the village, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket explodes minutes after Florida launch
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional