Singhpura-Viloo tunnel to benefit Kishtwar residents: Congress
Jammu: The construction of Singhpura-Viloo tunnel in Kishtwar district of Jammu and Kashmir will improve the socio-economy status of the local residents, former Congress minister and MLA G M Saroori said on Wednesday.
"Construction of Singhpura-Viloo tunnel will not only give an alternative road connectivity to the Kashmir Valley but also improve the socio-economy status of the people of the area," Saroori said after laying the foundation stone of Shinghpura Model Village in Chatroo tehsil of the district.
Shinghpura Model Village, which would include facilities like parks, shops and other necessary infrastructure, would be constructed at a cost of Rs 2.50 crore, he said.
Garrison Reserve Engineering Force is busy in preparing the pre-feasibility report of the tunnel so that the work on this important tunnel could be started, Saroori said.
Singhpura village is at a distance of 65-km from district headquarter Kishtwar and came into lime light with the government announcement to construct Shinghpura-Viloo tunnel, an alternative road link to Kashmir valley connection Chenab valley with Anantnag district of Kashmir province.
With the construction of 5.5-km long Singhpora-Viloo tunnel at a cost of nearly Rs 500 crore, the Kashmir Valley which mostly remains cut off from the rest of the world will get all weather road connectivity, he said.
The Congress MLA from Inderwal added that it will be the shortest route to Valley from Lakhanpur once Bhaderwah-Bani-Basoli road project gets completed.
Large number of people from Shinghpura and its adjoining areas assembled to witness the event in the village.
The Central government was making sincere efforts for the construction of Singhpura-Viloo tunnel, he said.
Once the tunnel project is completed, Shinghpura would be the first village for the tourists coming to Jammu province from Kashmir Valley, therefore there is an immediate need to raise the living and infrastructural standards of the village, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill