Singhpura-Viloo tunnel to benefit Kishtwar residents: Congress
Jammu: The construction of Singhpura-Viloo tunnel in Kishtwar district of Jammu and Kashmir will improve the socio-economy status of the local residents, former Congress minister and MLA G M Saroori said on Wednesday.
"Construction of Singhpura-Viloo tunnel will not only give an alternative road connectivity to the Kashmir Valley but also improve the socio-economy status of the people of the area," Saroori said after laying the foundation stone of Shinghpura Model Village in Chatroo tehsil of the district.
Shinghpura Model Village, which would include facilities like parks, shops and other necessary infrastructure, would be constructed at a cost of Rs 2.50 crore, he said.
Garrison Reserve Engineering Force is busy in preparing the pre-feasibility report of the tunnel so that the work on this important tunnel could be started, Saroori said.
Singhpura village is at a distance of 65-km from district headquarter Kishtwar and came into lime light with the government announcement to construct Shinghpura-Viloo tunnel, an alternative road link to Kashmir valley connection Chenab valley with Anantnag district of Kashmir province.
With the construction of 5.5-km long Singhpora-Viloo tunnel at a cost of nearly Rs 500 crore, the Kashmir Valley which mostly remains cut off from the rest of the world will get all weather road connectivity, he said.
The Congress MLA from Inderwal added that it will be the shortest route to Valley from Lakhanpur once Bhaderwah-Bani-Basoli road project gets completed.
Large number of people from Shinghpura and its adjoining areas assembled to witness the event in the village.
The Central government was making sincere efforts for the construction of Singhpura-Viloo tunnel, he said.
Once the tunnel project is completed, Shinghpura would be the first village for the tourists coming to Jammu province from Kashmir Valley, therefore there is an immediate need to raise the living and infrastructural standards of the village, he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Panel discussion on film director Ali Akbar's accusation on Madrasa
- Jhansi's ammunition factory was target of ISI agents
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory