Six terrorists killed on Kashmir border
Srinagar: The death toll in Thursday`s gunfight on Jammu and Kashmir`s border has risen to six, and Indian troops are searching the area for more bodies, an official said Saturday.
The incident took place at Uri in Baramulla district along the Line of Control (LoC) that divides Kashmir between India and Pakistan.
"The gunfight ended Thursday but we are still carrying out searches," a military spokesman told a news agency here.
"Bodies of four terrorists were recovered Thursday while wireless intercepts of terrorists confirm that six were killed in the gun battle," the spokesman said.
Soldiers on the border had laid an ambush to target a group of heavily armed guerrillas who were trying to infiltrate into the Kashmir Valley from Pakistan on Thursday.
"We had intelligence for about a month that 30-40 heavily armed terrorists were planning to infiltrate. On Thursday we had actionable intelligence... We laid an ambush.
"The infiltrators belonged to a mixed group of local and foreign terrorists. Since the terrain is hilly and rugged, the searches needed to be carried on for a longer time," Brigadier B.S. Raju told reporters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Delhi Police may arrest Kabaddi player Rohit over wife's suicide
- Politics over Mahesh Sharma's visit to Ayodhya museum site ahead of UP elections
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!