Spirit shown by Vajpayee govt must be revived for peace: PDP
Srinagar: Opposition PDP on Monday said the spirit demonstrated by former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee-led NDA government needs to be revived for a lasting peace and dignified in Jammu and Kashmir.
"Former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee had responded positively to yearning for peace. That spirit will have to be revived for a lasting and dignified peace," PDP President said Mehbooba Mufti said.
The state would have an entirely new experience of good governance and conflict resolution, if PDP, which already has three MPs in the parliament, gets a chance to form a stable government at the state level, Mehbooba said while addressing a public meeting at Kulgam in south Kashmir.
"Our voice will be heard with respect and reason not only in New Delhi but all across the country," Mehbooba, who won from Anantnag parliamentary constituency said.
She said the political problems facing the state will have to be taken head-on and Mufti Mohammad Sayeed would need a decisive mandate to be able to take them up with the national leadership.
She expressed hope that the people of the entire state would vote for the PDP to bring in a government headed by Mufti Mohammad Sayeed with a clear majority, so that the initiative of change that was started in 2002 (by Vajpayee government) are carried forward.
The PDP president said "Omar Abdullah government was now trying to undone the wrongs it had committed during last five and a half years."
"While there were immense problems on account of corruption, mis-governance, lack of development and infrastructure building but unemployment problem is the biggest challenge for the next government," Mehbooba said.
"Omar Abdullah government is leaving behind a mess that is difficult to sort out, and its anti-youth policies pose a big challenge on employment front and the ways to engage youth along creative channels."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!