Srinagar experiences coldest night at minus 3.4 deg C
Srinagar: Srinagar city, the summer capital of Jammu and Kashmir, recorded the coldest night of this winter as mercury across the Valley fell by around two degrees Thursday night.
"Srinagar recorded a low of minus 3.4 degrees Celsius last night. This is the coldest in the city this winter," an official of the MeT Department said.
The cold wave intensified across the Valley even though there was light snowfall in higher reaches last evening.
The minimum temperature in the tourist resort of Pahalgam was minus 5.2 degrees Celsius as against the previous night’s low of 4.5 degrees Celsius.
The mercury in the famous ski-resort of Gulmarg plunged to settle at a low of minus 6.1 degrees Celsius as compared to previous night’s minus 3.5 degrees Celsius, the official said.
Qazigiund, the gateway town to Kashmir, recorded a low of minus 4.0 degrees Celsius as compared to previous night’s minus 3.3 degrees Celsius.
The official said Kupwara town in north Kashmir recorded a minimum of minus 2.5 degrees Celsius as against minus 1.8 degrees Celsius the previous night, while Kokernag in south recorded a low of minus 2.4 degree Celsius as against the previous night’s 0.3 degree Celsius.
Leh continues to remain the coldest place in the state as the frontier town in Ladakh region which recorded a low of minus 11.8 degrees Celsius as against the previous night’s minus 11.4 degrees Celsius.
The nearby Kargil town recorded a drop of over four degrees in the minimum temperature as the mercury settled at a low of minus 9.2 degrees Celsius as against the previous night’s minus 4.8 degrees Celsius, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened