Srinagar-Jammu highway opens for stranded vehicles
Srinagar: The Srinagar-Jammu National Highway, which was closed for the past two days following heavy snowfall, was opened Thursday for stranded vehicles to proceed to their destinations.
"Restoration work on national highway is going on. Men and machinery are on job. There will be no fresh movement of traffic on the national highway either from Srinagar or Jammu on Thursday. Only stranded vehicles are being allowed," a spokesman of the traffic department said.
The arterial road - the only all-weather road link between Kashmir and rest of the country - was closed on Tuesday following heavy snowfall across the Valley.
The air link between Srinagar international airport and rest of the country was restored yesterday. Train services between the Valley and Banihal were, however, operational even during the snowfall.
Meanwhile, there was little respite for people of the Valley from the after-effects of the snowfall as electricity and water supply in most parts of Kashmir, including Srinagar city, have not been restored.
The roads in commercial hub of Lal Chowk and Exhibition Crossing remained inundated, causing severe problems in the movement of traffic and pedestrians.
State Chief Secretary Mohammad Iqbal Khandey yesterday chaired a high-level meeting during which he directed the divisional administration of the Valley to expedite the restoration of essential services and clearance of snow from roads for smooth plying of traffic.
He instructed dewatering of inundated areas due to recent heavy snowfall.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation