Srinagar-Jammu highway opens for stranded vehicles
Srinagar: The Srinagar-Jammu National Highway, which was closed for the past two days following heavy snowfall, was opened Thursday for stranded vehicles to proceed to their destinations.
"Restoration work on national highway is going on. Men and machinery are on job. There will be no fresh movement of traffic on the national highway either from Srinagar or Jammu on Thursday. Only stranded vehicles are being allowed," a spokesman of the traffic department said.
The arterial road - the only all-weather road link between Kashmir and rest of the country - was closed on Tuesday following heavy snowfall across the Valley.
The air link between Srinagar international airport and rest of the country was restored yesterday. Train services between the Valley and Banihal were, however, operational even during the snowfall.
Meanwhile, there was little respite for people of the Valley from the after-effects of the snowfall as electricity and water supply in most parts of Kashmir, including Srinagar city, have not been restored.
The roads in commercial hub of Lal Chowk and Exhibition Crossing remained inundated, causing severe problems in the movement of traffic and pedestrians.
State Chief Secretary Mohammad Iqbal Khandey yesterday chaired a high-level meeting during which he directed the divisional administration of the Valley to expedite the restoration of essential services and clearance of snow from roads for smooth plying of traffic.
He instructed dewatering of inundated areas due to recent heavy snowfall.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!