Trans-LoC bus service resumes
Srinagar/Poonch: The trans-LoC bus service on Monday resumed after remaining suspended for two weeks following a deadlock over the arrest of a driver from Pakistan-occupied Kashmir on drug trafficking charges.
Bus services resumed on two routes --Srinagar-Muzaffarbad and Poonch-Rawalakote.
Bus on Srinagar-Muzaffarbad route, carrying 28 passengers reached Kaman Post -- the zero point on Line of Control in Uri sector of Baramulla district -- shortly before Noon, officials said.
They said the passengers including 10 PoK residents, who returned home after visiting their relatives in the Valley, and 18 Indian citizens headed for their relatives` homes in PoK.
On Poonch-Rawalakote road, 164 members of divided families travelled on bus via Chakan-Da-Bagh border point.
As many as 72 people crossed over to PoK from J&K, while 92 crossed came to J&K from PoK, they said.
Officials of JK and PoK monitored the crossover operation at the point.
PoK authorities had suspended both travel and trade on the routes after 110 packets of brown sugar worth Rs 100 crore were recovered from a truck coming from across the LoC on January 17. The driver of the vehicle was arrested.
In retaliation, the PoK authorities had also detained 27 Indian drivers and their trucks, demanding release of the arrested driver. They also refused to take back 48 other PoK drivers till their demand was met.
The officials from two sides held several meetings to break the deadlock and during the latest round of talks on January 30 decided to resume the Bus service.
They also decided to continue the talks to work out a solution to the impasse in the trade.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISIS threat: Home Ministry holds meeting with 12 state DGPs
- Delhi: Doctor found dead in RML hospital's parking lot
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Playing politics on terror: Is this how the govt will combat terrorism?
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement