Two guerrillas killed in separate gunfights in Kashmir
Srinagar: Two guerrillas were killed in two separate operations by security forces in Jammu and Kashmir, a defence spokesman said here on Tuesday.
"Based on specific intelligence, joint operations were launched in Qazigund and Tral areas of south Kashmir by Army and police, resulting in the elimination of two terrorists, one foreign terrorist of Jaish-e-Muhammad (JeM) and one local terrorist of Hizbul Mujahideen outfit," the spokesman said.
He said two AK-47 rifles, a pistol and ammunition were recovered in the operations late Monday night.
The first joint operation was launched by Rashtriya Rifles troops deployed at Qazigund and the state police at 3 am on Monday, said the spokesman.
"A terrorist was hiding in a house at Shimpura village of Qazigund, taking the family members of the house owner as hostage. Keeping in mind the danger to the life of hostages, the area was cordoned till such time the safe passage could be ensured for the hostages.”
"Thereafter, the terrorist was challenged and given a chance to surrender. However, the terrorist turned down the call and tried to escape, firing at the security forces. This led to a heavy exchange of fire and killing of the terrorist. Due to internal security problem in the area and constricted space, the recovery of the body and weapons was delayed till late night.
He said the body of the slain terrorist, identified as Hizbul Mujahideen`s Javid Ahmed Salafi, a resident of Bulbul Naugam village of Anantnag district, as well as an AK-47 rifle, a pistol and ammunition were recovered.
"The second operation was launched at 7.p.m. Jan 20 on receipt of specific intelligence about presence of militant at Dadsara village in Tral of Pulwama district by the Rashtriya Rifles troops and the state police," said the spokesman.
He said the troops moving towards the house, where the terrorist was hiding, came under heavy, indiscriminate fire, and retaliated "instantly, effectively and with due care to the civil population".
"The operation was called off in the morning (of Tuesday). The body of the slain terrorist was recovered along with an AK 47. He was identified as Raza Muzaffar, a foreign terrorist from Muzaffarabad (in Pakistan-administered Kashmir), belonging to the JeM," the spokesman said, adding the operations were "surgically conducted without any collateral damage or casualty to own forces".
Srinagar-headquartered Chinar Corps commander, Lt Gen Gurmit Singh commended the participating troops and officers of army and the police for these operations, giving an opportunity to the local terrorist to surrender and ensuring that there was no collateral damage.
"Operational success in counter terrorist operations is measured by the ethicality, honesty and zero collateral damage and I commend the joint efforts of security forces to live up to the dictum," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly