Two neonates dead in north Kashmir
Srinagar: Two neonates died allegedly due to lack of facilities in district hospital Baramulla in north Kashmir, prompting health authorities to order an enquiry.
The families of the infants allege that the babies were on ventilator support when electricity in the hospital went off and the staff did not turn on the generator.
The hospital has denied the allegations, but the directorate of health has ordered an enquiry to probe the allegations.
"On the morning of December, 14, three neonates were under observation in the hospital when two of them developed some complications. One of the babies was suffering from asphyxia due to meconium aspiration, while the other had Septicemia and both were looked after by a paediatrician on duty," Medical Superintendent, district hospital Baramulla Dr Bashir Ahmad told PTI.
Ahmad said after the condition of babies deteriorated further, the paediatrician performed incubation and resuscitation on one baby at the hospital, but could not save him.
The other baby, with severe infection, was referred to G B Pant hospital Srinagar, but died on the way, he said.
Ahmad said the hospital has two generator sets for power back up and denied any negligence by the staff on duty.
Police has also supported the hospital version that the babies died due to severe infection and there was no negligence.
"The two babies died due to severe infection. One of them was referred to a hospital in Srinagar, but died on the way and the other one died at the hospital," a police spokesman said.
Taking note of the incident, director health services Kashmir has ordered an enquiry to look into the cause of deaths and the allegations of negligence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?
- IRS website hacked by suspected Pakistani hackers, messages like 'Pakistan Zindabad' posted