Two neonates dead in north Kashmir
Srinagar: Two neonates died allegedly due to lack of facilities in district hospital Baramulla in north Kashmir, prompting health authorities to order an enquiry.
The families of the infants allege that the babies were on ventilator support when electricity in the hospital went off and the staff did not turn on the generator.
The hospital has denied the allegations, but the directorate of health has ordered an enquiry to probe the allegations.
"On the morning of December, 14, three neonates were under observation in the hospital when two of them developed some complications. One of the babies was suffering from asphyxia due to meconium aspiration, while the other had Septicemia and both were looked after by a paediatrician on duty," Medical Superintendent, district hospital Baramulla Dr Bashir Ahmad told PTI.
Ahmad said after the condition of babies deteriorated further, the paediatrician performed incubation and resuscitation on one baby at the hospital, but could not save him.
The other baby, with severe infection, was referred to G B Pant hospital Srinagar, but died on the way, he said.
Ahmad said the hospital has two generator sets for power back up and denied any negligence by the staff on duty.
Police has also supported the hospital version that the babies died due to severe infection and there was no negligence.
"The two babies died due to severe infection. One of them was referred to a hospital in Srinagar, but died on the way and the other one died at the hospital," a police spokesman said.
Taking note of the incident, director health services Kashmir has ordered an enquiry to look into the cause of deaths and the allegations of negligence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'