Cabinet recommends Prez Rule in J`khand
New Delhi: The Union Cabinet on Thursday recommended imposition of President’s Rule in Jharkhand, which is facing political instability after the collapse of the Arjun Munda government last week.
Central rule has become important since no party or combination of parties have succeeded in forming a government after the fall of the BJP-led coalition last week.
The Union Cabinet made its recommendation on the basis of a report on political situation in Jharkhand prepared by Governor Syed Ahmed and sent to the home Ministry.
In his reports, the Governor recommended President’s Rule in the state while keeping the Assembly under suspended animation.
The recommendation was made in his second report to the Centre in the wake of the resignation of Chief Minister Arjun Munda, who also sought dissolution of the Assembly after JMM withdrew support to his government.
The Cabinet today discussed the Governor’s report as well as the Home Ministry note on the Jharkhand situation before taking the decision.
Jharkhand, which was created in 2000, has been placed under President’s Rule twice. The present political instability erupted on January 8 when BJP’s ruling coalition partner JMM, in a letter to the Governor, formally withdrew its support to the 28-month-old government pushing it into a minority.
In the 82-member state Assembly, BJP and JMM have 18 members each. The Munda government had the support of six members of All Jharkhand Students’ Union, two of JD (U), two independents and one nominated member who has voting right in a trial of strength. Opposition Congress has a total of 13 members, Jharkhand Vikas Morcha(P)11 and RJD 5 in the Assembly. CPI-ML(L), Marxist Coordination Party, Jharkhand Party (Ekka), Jharkhand Janadhikar Manch and Jai Bharat Samta Party have one member each besides an independent.
With PTI Inputs
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged