Centre has a responsibility to take care of people
Ranchi: Congress on Tuesday said the Centre had a responsibility to take care of the people through a process of subsidy, in an apparent dig at its critics questioning welfare projects.
"Now we are giving subsidy, buying (grains) at higher rate and distributing through a public distribution system through a process of subsidy ... Giving subsidy for fertilizer," AICC General Secretary Oscar Fernandes said.
In an apparent criticism of Team Anna without taking any names, he sought to question their wisdom to question why the government was "spending money or wasting money" by giving subsidy on fertilizer to the farmers.
Janata Party president Subramanian Swamy had said in Dhanbad on Tuesday that the Centre should scrap MG-NREGA-type welfare schemes and rein in corruption for economic growth.
Fernandes also gave examples how steps in the telecom sector had enabled even a villager procure a mobile handset.
"Anybody can charge the government with any charges. It is for them to prove the charges," he said, in an apparent reference to Team Anna’s recent corruption charges against some Central ministers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra