Centre has a responsibility to take care of people
Ranchi: Congress on Tuesday said the Centre had a responsibility to take care of the people through a process of subsidy, in an apparent dig at its critics questioning welfare projects.
"Now we are giving subsidy, buying (grains) at higher rate and distributing through a public distribution system through a process of subsidy ... Giving subsidy for fertilizer," AICC General Secretary Oscar Fernandes said.
In an apparent criticism of Team Anna without taking any names, he sought to question their wisdom to question why the government was "spending money or wasting money" by giving subsidy on fertilizer to the farmers.
Janata Party president Subramanian Swamy had said in Dhanbad on Tuesday that the Centre should scrap MG-NREGA-type welfare schemes and rein in corruption for economic growth.
Fernandes also gave examples how steps in the telecom sector had enabled even a villager procure a mobile handset.
"Anybody can charge the government with any charges. It is for them to prove the charges," he said, in an apparent reference to Team Anna’s recent corruption charges against some Central ministers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir