Cong to decide on tie up with regional party in Jharkhand
New Delhi: In a departure from its earlier
stand of going it alone in Jharkhand assembly elections,
Congress today said it would take a decision on reaching an
electoral accord with a regional outfit in the next few days.
"We would take a final decision on an alliance between
October 31 and November 2," a senior Congress leader said,
indicating that the party may have a tie up with Jharkhand
Vikas Morcha led by former chief minister Babu Lal Marandi.
He said an alliance with JMM was unlikely as its image
has been tarnished in recent months.
"If we enter into an alliance with the JMM, the
electorate would think that we are projecting Shibu Soren as
the chief ministerial candidate. This is not acceptable as it
would also lead to polarisation of non-tribal votes," he said.
The Congress, which has not been able to form government
since the state`s inception in 2000, had won only one of the
the 14 Lok Sabha seats in the state this year.
Congress leaders claimed that they are getting "feelers"
from some independent MLAs, who had won last time, expressing
the desire to join the party on the eve of the polls.
Meanwhile, AICC General Secretary Mukul Wasnik, who is
in-charge of the committee to finalise party candidates and K
Keshav Rao, party in-charge of the state, are in Jharkhand to
draw up a list of probable nominees after consulting the state
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read