Demonstration by Ajsu demanding special status for Jharkhand
Ranchi: The Ajsu party on Tuesday staged demonstrations at headquarter towns of all 24 districts of Jharkhand demanding special status category for the state as it fulfills all criteria.
Leading the demonstration in Ranchi, party president and former deputy chief minister Sudesh Mahto claimed that Jharkhand fulfilled all yardsticks for a special status state as per the Gadgil Formula.
Submitting a memorandum to Governor Syed Ahmed through Ranchi Deputy Commissioner Vinay Kumar Choubey, Mahto also referred to the recent report of the Raghuram Rajan Committee, which placed Jharkhand in the fifth place among backward states in the country.
Mahto, who called a statewide bandh on March 2 to press for his party`s demand, also alleged the people of the state were not getting certificates pertaining to caste, birth, death and scholarship on time and effective implementation of other welfare schemes.
- VVIP chopper deal probe: CBI to grill former-IAF chief SP Tyagi, his 2 brothers today; major set-back for Sonia Gandhi?
- Colombia deports top Peruvian crime lord
- After a half-century wait, first US cruise ship leaves Miami for Cuba
- Tear gas in Paris, Istanbul as tensions erupt on May Day
- Republican presidential race: Donald Trump hits out at Hillary Clinton and Ted Cruz ahead of Indiana primary