First day bandh by Maoists peaceful, fails to evoke response
Ranchi: The first day of the 48-hour bandh called by the CPI (Maoist) to protest the killing of 10 of their cadres in Chatra last month, was incident-free and life remained normal in most parts of Jharkhand.
Barring rural areas of Naxal-affected districts, the bandh was a flop in towns, cities and the whole of Santhal Pargana comprising six districts, according to police sources.
In Latehar, the police said it had removed a Maoist poster calling the two-day Jharkhand and Bihar bandh.
The police escorted long distance buses between Dhanbad`s Barbadah to Topchanchi while security arrangements were tight along railway tracks and other important places.
Ten Maoists were killed by the Trititya Prastuti Committee, a break-away faction of the CPI(Maoist) in Chatra on March 28. The Maoist also killed five policemen in Gumla on April 6.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh addresses Parliament over Kashmir violence
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh addresses Parliament over Kashmir violence – Part II
- I am a Goddess for the weaker section which is making people angry: Mayawati
- Sacked BJP leader Dayashankar to be arrested soon for controversial remark on Mayawati
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- This manatee is interested in paddleboarding – Watch video!
- Oscar Pistorius: Prosecutors seek longer sentence for tainted Paralympian
- 17.93 lakh candidates trained under PMKVY as on July 18
- NASA's new institute to explore ways to protect astronauts
- Finally! WhatsApp adds call back and voicemail features for Android