First day bandh by Maoists peaceful, fails to evoke response
Ranchi: The first day of the 48-hour bandh called by the CPI (Maoist) to protest the killing of 10 of their cadres in Chatra last month, was incident-free and life remained normal in most parts of Jharkhand.
Barring rural areas of Naxal-affected districts, the bandh was a flop in towns, cities and the whole of Santhal Pargana comprising six districts, according to police sources.
In Latehar, the police said it had removed a Maoist poster calling the two-day Jharkhand and Bihar bandh.
The police escorted long distance buses between Dhanbad`s Barbadah to Topchanchi while security arrangements were tight along railway tracks and other important places.
Ten Maoists were killed by the Trititya Prastuti Committee, a break-away faction of the CPI(Maoist) in Chatra on March 28. The Maoist also killed five policemen in Gumla on April 6.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan