Former Jharkhand agriculture minister arrested in seed scam
Ranchi: Former Jharkhand agriculture minister and BJP leader Satyanand Bhokta was on Thursday arrested by a team of vigilance sleuths, two days after the state vigilance bureau grilled him in connection with the purchase of seeds when he was the minister.
"He (Bhokta) has been arrested in connection with the seed scam," Superintendent of Police (Vigilance Bureau) Vipul Shukla said here.
Bhokta, who was questioned on Tuesday, was arrested from his residence here, sources in the bureau said.
Bhokta held the portfolio of agriculture department during Arjun Munda-led BJP government between 2003 and 2005.
Bhokta, who was arrested after the second round of interrogation by the vigilance sleuths, was produced before a vigilance court, which sent him to 14 days judicial custody, a senior Vigilance Bureau official said.
JMM MLA Nalin Soren, who held the agriculture portfolio during Madhu Koda regime, is now in judicial custody in connection with the seed scam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement