Innocent man to get Rs 1 lakh for spending four months in jail
Ranchi: The Jharkhand government on Saturday
announced Rs one lakh as ex-gratia to a man who had spent four
months in jail because his nickname matched that of a wanted
State HRD Minister Hemlal Murmu announced in the assembly
that Rameshwar Lohara alias Chhotu would be given ex-gratia of
Rs one lakh and added investigating officer in the case would
Lohara had been arrested instead of Upendra Oraon alias
Chhotu in the case. The two hailed from the same place.
Lohara was sent to judicial custody by a local court
after his arrest. He was, however, set free by the court on
December 2, 2009 following an appeal by the police.
Raising the issue in the house, CPI (ML-Liberation) MLA
Vinod Kumar Singh said Lohara had already spent Rs one lakh in
meeting legal expenses and should be given Rs two lakh and a
At this, Chief Minister Shibu Soren said, "We will look
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!