Jairam Ramesh to visit Jharkhand in spite of Maoists threat
New Delhi: Union minister Jairam Ramesh will visit Jharkhand later this week, ignoring a purported threat issued against him by Maoists.
The rebels belong to a group called Sangarsh Jan Mukti Morcha (SJMM) had reportedly telephoned Jharkhand Pradesh Congress Committee (JPCC) President Sukhdeo Bhagat and asked him to tell the Rural Development Minister not to visit trouble-hit areas in the state.
Ramesh is a frequent visitor to disturbed tribal areas in Jharkhand where development programmes are being implemented by the Rural Development Ministry.
SJMM, which is responsible for killings and abduction in Latehar and adjoining districts, is run by former Maoists.
Sources in the Rural Development Ministry said Ramesh will visit in Jharkhand on July 20 attend the convocation ceremony in the Kolhan University in Chaibasa.
Asked about the Maoist threat, the Minister said, "Even if it is threat, you have to work."
The purported threat comes after the recent killing of Congress leaders by Maoists in Chhattisgarh.
After the massacre, Ramesh had described the Maoists as terrorists.
The Maoists had later issued a statement in which they criticised Ramesh for his "theory" that the "tribals are being crushed between the armed forces on the one side and the Maoists on the other".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah