Madhu Koda beaten up inside Ranchi jail
Ranchi: Former Jharkhand chief minister Madhu Koda was admitted to a hospital here on Monday after he was allegedly beaten up by jail officials in Birsa Munda central jail.
As per Koda, he was on a hunger strike since today morning to protest against the bad quality of food being served to inmates. Sometime later an argument broke out which ended with jail officials brutally assaulting him.
However, a news agency, quoting jail officials claimed that Koda was injured when the police used batons to disperse a gathering of prisoners.
As per the report, some people who had come to visit Koda were also injured.
"Restriction was put over the visitors` numbers but Koda wanted more visitors. When jail officials denied permission, Koda and his supporters went to the general ward of the jail to meet people," an official told the news agency on condition of anonymity.
There, Koda and his supporters started mingling with general prisoners.
"Police had to resort to baton-charge to disperse the prisoners and Koda was inured," he added.
Unconfirmed reports claimed that Koda has suffered fracture in one arm besides bruises all over the body. He is admitted to the Ranchi Institute of medical Sciences (RIMS).
Koda has been in jail since November 2009 in a Rs 4,000 crore money laundering scam. He and four former ministers are kept in a VIP cell of the jail.
More details are awaited.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo