Maoists call bandh, police to ensure normal life
Ranchi: Amidst reports that Maoists have called a 48-hour bandh in Jharkhand and Bihar from April 6 to protest against killing of their 10 cadres, the police on Sunday said all measures would be taken to ensure that normal life prevailed during the period.
Additional Director General of Police B B Pradhan said precautionary measures would be taken to ensure that normal life was not disturbed during those two days.
A man claiming to be Gopal Ji, a member of the CPI (Maoist) special area Bihar-Jharkhand-North Chhattisgarh, rang up media houses yesterday saying, they have called a 48-hour bandh in Bihar and Jharkhand from April 6.
Media reports today said the bandh would be a part of the `Protest Week` to be observed from April 1 in protest against the killing of their 10 cadres by Tritiya Prastuti Committee (TPC) ultras in the intervening night of March 27 and 28 in Chatra district.
"We have not received any intelligence reports in this regard, but will take all measures to ensure normal life in the wake of the newspaper reports," Chatra Deputy Commissioner Manoj Kumar told a news agency over phone.
The TPC, which had broken away from the CPI(Maoist) on ideological grounds in 2002, shot dead 10 Maoists and claimed to have taken as many hostage during a firefight in jungles near Lakramanda village of Chatra district.
The police, however, said they were not aware of anyone being taken hostage.
The Maoists have a track record of calling bandhs whenever their cadres are arrested or killed and destroy school buildings, railway tracks, panchayat offices and firing on passenger buses and trucks plying during bandh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state