Mother of journalist Nirupama released on parole
Koderma: The mother of scribe Nirupama Pathak, who was arrested last week in connection with the alleged honour killing of her daughter, was on Sunday released on parole for three days to attend the post-death rituals.
Koderma Jail Superintendent Martin Ranjan said that Subha Pathak was allowed to go to her Jhumritilaya home to attend the `shradh` rituals following a local court`s permission.
Subha Pathak had on Friday petitioned Chief Judicial Magistrate (CJM) NK Agarwal to allow her to attend the `shradh` of her daughter.
Boyfriend charged with rape
Police on Saturday filed a case of cheating, rape and abetment to suicide against the boyfriend of journalist Nirupama Pathak who was found dead in her Jharkhand home April 29.
A first information report (FIR) has been filed at the Tilaiya police station of Koderma district, around 200 km from here, a police official told an agency.
"The role of Priyabhanshu (Ranjan) is being investigated. He might have tried to play foul with Nirupama," the official said.
"He will be further interrogated and asked to come to Koderma to cooperate in the investigation. We will take the extreme step of arresting him if he does not cooperate," the official added.
Both Nirupama, 23, and Ranjan were journalists based in New Delhi. She was a reporter in a business daily and had come home in Koderma April 19 and was due to return to New Delhi April 28.
But her reservation was cancelled and she was found dead April 29.
Family says suicide case
Nirupama`s family insists she committed suicide. But her post-mortem examination showed she was smothered to death and that she was 10-12 weeks pregnant.
Her mother Sudha was arrested Monday in connection with the death but has been allowed to perform Nirupama`s last rites.
A Ranchi court Friday directed the police to lodge an FIR against Ranjan on a petition by Nirupama`s mother.
She has accused Ranjan of sexually exploiting Nirupama by promising to marry her.
As soon as the order came, a joint team of Jharkhand and Delhi Police questioned Ranjan in New Delhi for over seven hours about his relationship with the dead journalist.
According to police sources, Nirupama sent 33 SMSes to Ranjan between April 19 and 28.
He has allegedly deleted all SMSes. During interrogation he denied receiving any SMS except one. He also allegedly took away the laptop and diaries from Nirupama`s Delhi house when she went to Koderma.
The family has admitted they were opposed to Nirupama`s planned marriage with Ranjan, her former batchmate at the Indian Institute of Mass Communication (IIMC).
According to police sources, the three-doctor team that conducted Nirupama`s autopsy did not mention the time of death. They also did not preserve the viscera and foetus.
Nirupama`s father Dharmendra Pathak and brother Samrendra are government officers in Gonda and Mumbai respectively. They have also been questioned in what some believe to be a case of "honour killing".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon