Rs 1 lakh for kin of Jharkhand labourers killed at Balco
Ranchi: Jharkhand Governor K Sankaranarayanan Sunday announced compensation of Rs 1 lakh for the kin of each of those labourers from the state who were killed in a Balco power plant in Chhattisgarh earlier this week.
Around 50 labourers, including 13 from Jharkhand, were killed when an under-construction chimney collapsed in the Bharat Aluminium Company Ltd (Balco) in Chhattisgarh`s Korba town on September 26.
"The number of labourers killed may go up as the rescue operation is still going on at the proposed power plant. The labour department officials will ensure that the bodies reach the family members immediately," an official said.
The official said Jharkhand will pay compensation to the kin of labourers belonging to the state.
"The Jharkhand Governor has directed the Labour Commissioner to send a team to Korba to ascertain the number of those killed from the state. He has also directed the officials to ensure proper treatment for the injured," the official added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16