Second phase of Jharkhand panchayat polls underway
Ranchi: Polling for the second phase of panchayat elections began in Jharkhand on Monday morning amid tight security arrangements, an official here said.
The elections began at 7 am and voters were seen queueing at the polling booths despite the boycott call by Maoists.
More than 700 companies of paramilitary troopers and state police have been deployed and three helicopters are doing air surveillance to ensure peaceful polling, the official said.
In the second phase, voting is taking place in 1,292 panchayats of 71 blocks of 23 districts. A total of 47,406 candidates are in the fray whose fate will be decided by 4,292,969 voters.
The five-phase panchayat elections began Nov 27.
The last panchayat polls took place in 1979 when Jharkhand was part of Bihar. The polls were delayed due to legal battle over reservations for tribals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- NIA busts ISIS module in Hyderabad; 11 arrested
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Inspiring! Poverty-stricken Bihar siblings beat all odds to crack IIT-JEE
- 7th Pay Commission: Know at a glance, see this informative chart
- Complete list of athletes representing India at 2016 Rio Olympics
- Hillary Clinton leads Donald Trump by 11 points in US presidential race
- Pakistan strongly condemns terrorist attack at Istanbul airport