Second phase of Jharkhand panchayat polls underway
Ranchi: Polling for the second phase of panchayat elections began in Jharkhand on Monday morning amid tight security arrangements, an official here said.
The elections began at 7 am and voters were seen queueing at the polling booths despite the boycott call by Maoists.
More than 700 companies of paramilitary troopers and state police have been deployed and three helicopters are doing air surveillance to ensure peaceful polling, the official said.
In the second phase, voting is taking place in 1,292 panchayats of 71 blocks of 23 districts. A total of 47,406 candidates are in the fray whose fate will be decided by 4,292,969 voters.
The five-phase panchayat elections began Nov 27.
The last panchayat polls took place in 1979 when Jharkhand was part of Bihar. The polls were delayed due to legal battle over reservations for tribals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- 'The Kapil Sharma Show' controversy: Sunil Grover opens up, finds all the 'tamasha' very 'entertaining'