Second phase of Jharkhand panchayat polls underway
Ranchi: Polling for the second phase of panchayat elections began in Jharkhand on Monday morning amid tight security arrangements, an official here said.
The elections began at 7 am and voters were seen queueing at the polling booths despite the boycott call by Maoists.
More than 700 companies of paramilitary troopers and state police have been deployed and three helicopters are doing air surveillance to ensure peaceful polling, the official said.
In the second phase, voting is taking place in 1,292 panchayats of 71 blocks of 23 districts. A total of 47,406 candidates are in the fray whose fate will be decided by 4,292,969 voters.
The five-phase panchayat elections began Nov 27.
The last panchayat polls took place in 1979 when Jharkhand was part of Bihar. The polls were delayed due to legal battle over reservations for tribals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi