435 in fray for Karnataka`s 28 Lok Sabha seats
Bangalore: As many as 435 candidates are in fray from Karnataka`s 28 Lok Sabha constituencies which will witness single phase polling April 17, a poll official said Saturday.
"As 109 candidates withdrew their nominations, leaving 435 candidates representing mainstream and regional parties and independents contesting from the 28 parliamentary seats," state chief electoral officer Anil Kumar Jha told reporters here.
Of the total candidates in fray, 412 are men and 23 are women.
Of the total nominations received by the returning officers in all the 28 seats, 544 were found valid.
Highest number of contestants - 26 - are in Bangalore Central and lowest - eight - are in Gulbarga (reserved) where Railways Minister Mallikarjun Kharge is seeking to retain the seat.
After the general elections was notified in the state March 19, 560 candidates filed nominations till March 26. Following scrutiny March 26, 554 candidates were left in fray. Withdrawal of nominations was allowed for two days - Friday and Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video