Bangalore girl rape case: Goonda Act to be invoked, police chief shunted
Bangalore: Cracking the whip amid public outrage and protests over the alleged rape of a six-year-old girl, the Karnataka government on Monday transferred Police Commissioner Raghavendra Auradkar and decided to invoke the Goonda Act against the main accused, a skating instructor.
The top level shakeup came as an apparent fallout of mounting criticism of alleged inaction of government and police in the incident in which the first arrest was made yesterday, six days after a complaint was lodged with police.
Protests also turned violent today with ABVP activists clashing with police in front of Vibgyor High School, where the incident happened, leading to a baton charge, as they tried to storm into the building seeking answers from management.
As the issue figured in the Assembly, Chief Minister Siddaramaiah said the Goonda Act would be invoked against the accused Mustafa as he was involved in similar cases earlier.
"Goonda Act will be invoked on Mustafa for raping the girl in Vibgyor High School because he has been involved in such cases in previous schools where he was employed," he said.
31-year old Mustafa, hailing from Bihar, was arrested after eight persons, detained for questioning in connection with the incident, were interrogated.
The Chief Minister said government has decided to amend the Goonda Act to include persons committing rape for the first time."We have sent the proposal to the Law Department and would introduce in the House as soon as possible," he added.
A rash of rape cases had led to eruption of public anger which had spilled into the streets, putting pressure on the government to show results.
Apart from the child rape case, a 22-year old woman was allegedly raped when she was with her friend in a car after they were forcibly driven away by four men, one of whom committed the crime and 16-year old nun was allegedly raped at a seminary in recent days.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani