Bangalore girl rape case: Goonda Act to be invoked, police chief shunted
Bangalore: Cracking the whip amid public outrage and protests over the alleged rape of a six-year-old girl, the Karnataka government on Monday transferred Police Commissioner Raghavendra Auradkar and decided to invoke the Goonda Act against the main accused, a skating instructor.
The top level shakeup came as an apparent fallout of mounting criticism of alleged inaction of government and police in the incident in which the first arrest was made yesterday, six days after a complaint was lodged with police.
Protests also turned violent today with ABVP activists clashing with police in front of Vibgyor High School, where the incident happened, leading to a baton charge, as they tried to storm into the building seeking answers from management.
As the issue figured in the Assembly, Chief Minister Siddaramaiah said the Goonda Act would be invoked against the accused Mustafa as he was involved in similar cases earlier.
"Goonda Act will be invoked on Mustafa for raping the girl in Vibgyor High School because he has been involved in such cases in previous schools where he was employed," he said.
31-year old Mustafa, hailing from Bihar, was arrested after eight persons, detained for questioning in connection with the incident, were interrogated.
The Chief Minister said government has decided to amend the Goonda Act to include persons committing rape for the first time."We have sent the proposal to the Law Department and would introduce in the House as soon as possible," he added.
A rash of rape cases had led to eruption of public anger which had spilled into the streets, putting pressure on the government to show results.
Apart from the child rape case, a 22-year old woman was allegedly raped when she was with her friend in a car after they were forcibly driven away by four men, one of whom committed the crime and 16-year old nun was allegedly raped at a seminary in recent days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt