Bangalore law student gang-rape: 6 accused awarded life sentence
Zee Media Bureau
Bangalore: A fast-track court on Friday awarded life imprisonment to six persons found guilty of gang-raping a 21-year-old student of National Law School of India University (NLSIU) last year.
Besides the six - Doddaerayya (19), Maddura (20), Shivanna (20), Erayya (20), Yaliyaiah (23) and Rama (23) - convicted today, the seventh is still absconding and the eight accused, a minor, is being tried in a juvenile court in Bangalore.
The six accused awarded life imprisonment were convicted under Section 376 (2)(g) for gang-rape, Sections 323 and 324 (causing hurt), Section 506 (criminal intimidation) and Section 366 (abduction).
The woman, of Nepalese origin, was with a male friend when she was attacked inside Jnanabharathi campus on October 13, 2012. The woman was dragged into the forested area where she was gang-raped. Her friend was also brutally assaulted by the accused.
The victim had discontinued her studies and went back to Nepal. She returned a few months back to depose before the court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj