Bangalore law student gang-rape: 6 accused awarded life sentence
Zee Media Bureau
Bangalore: A fast-track court on Friday awarded life imprisonment to six persons found guilty of gang-raping a 21-year-old student of National Law School of India University (NLSIU) last year.
Besides the six - Doddaerayya (19), Maddura (20), Shivanna (20), Erayya (20), Yaliyaiah (23) and Rama (23) - convicted today, the seventh is still absconding and the eight accused, a minor, is being tried in a juvenile court in Bangalore.
The six accused awarded life imprisonment were convicted under Section 376 (2)(g) for gang-rape, Sections 323 and 324 (causing hurt), Section 506 (criminal intimidation) and Section 366 (abduction).
The woman, of Nepalese origin, was with a male friend when she was attacked inside Jnanabharathi campus on October 13, 2012. The woman was dragged into the forested area where she was gang-raped. Her friend was also brutally assaulted by the accused.
The victim had discontinued her studies and went back to Nepal. She returned a few months back to depose before the court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- Cricket series can't happen along with terror attacks: Anurag Thakur warns PCB