Bangalore law student gang-rape: 6 accused awarded life sentence
Zee Media Bureau
Bangalore: A fast-track court on Friday awarded life imprisonment to six persons found guilty of gang-raping a 21-year-old student of National Law School of India University (NLSIU) last year.
Besides the six - Doddaerayya (19), Maddura (20), Shivanna (20), Erayya (20), Yaliyaiah (23) and Rama (23) - convicted today, the seventh is still absconding and the eight accused, a minor, is being tried in a juvenile court in Bangalore.
The six accused awarded life imprisonment were convicted under Section 376 (2)(g) for gang-rape, Sections 323 and 324 (causing hurt), Section 506 (criminal intimidation) and Section 366 (abduction).
The woman, of Nepalese origin, was with a male friend when she was attacked inside Jnanabharathi campus on October 13, 2012. The woman was dragged into the forested area where she was gang-raped. Her friend was also brutally assaulted by the accused.
The victim had discontinued her studies and went back to Nepal. She returned a few months back to depose before the court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere