Bangalore law student gang-rape: 6 accused awarded life sentence
Zee Media Bureau
Bangalore: A fast-track court on Friday awarded life imprisonment to six persons found guilty of gang-raping a 21-year-old student of National Law School of India University (NLSIU) last year.
Besides the six - Doddaerayya (19), Maddura (20), Shivanna (20), Erayya (20), Yaliyaiah (23) and Rama (23) - convicted today, the seventh is still absconding and the eight accused, a minor, is being tried in a juvenile court in Bangalore.
The six accused awarded life imprisonment were convicted under Section 376 (2)(g) for gang-rape, Sections 323 and 324 (causing hurt), Section 506 (criminal intimidation) and Section 366 (abduction).
The woman, of Nepalese origin, was with a male friend when she was attacked inside Jnanabharathi campus on October 13, 2012. The woman was dragged into the forested area where she was gang-raped. Her friend was also brutally assaulted by the accused.
The victim had discontinued her studies and went back to Nepal. She returned a few months back to depose before the court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details