BJP asks Governor to reject Karnataka Govt recommendation
Bangalore: BJP`s state unit on Sunday requested Governor H R Bhardwaj to reject the Karnataka Government`s reported recommendation to nominate five party functionaries to the Legislative Council, alleging that it is violation of the Constitution.
A BJP delegation headed by former Chief Minister and Leader of Opposition Jagadish Shettar met the Governor and submitted a memorandum to him, saying they were given to understand that the government has proposed the names to the post of Legislative Council members under Article 171 of the Constitution.
They pointed out that as per the Constitution, members to be nominated are persons having special knowledge or practical experience in literature, science, arts, co-operative movement and social service.
However, those members that the state government has proposed, if nominated, would be ultra vires of the Constitution, they alleged.
The five persons named are active politicians of the ruling party and were either defeated or were denied party tickets in the previous elections, they said.
The BJP leaders also reminded the Governor that the nomination of V Somanna (BJP) in 2010 was rejected by him on the same grounds.
Terming the government`s move as `unfortunate`, they charged it with trying to accommodate persons who were rejected by the people in the hustings.
BJP also alleged that the government was misusing the office of the Governor by undertaking this `unconstitutional move.`
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?