BJP asks Governor to reject Karnataka Govt recommendation
Bangalore: BJP`s state unit on Sunday requested Governor H R Bhardwaj to reject the Karnataka Government`s reported recommendation to nominate five party functionaries to the Legislative Council, alleging that it is violation of the Constitution.
A BJP delegation headed by former Chief Minister and Leader of Opposition Jagadish Shettar met the Governor and submitted a memorandum to him, saying they were given to understand that the government has proposed the names to the post of Legislative Council members under Article 171 of the Constitution.
They pointed out that as per the Constitution, members to be nominated are persons having special knowledge or practical experience in literature, science, arts, co-operative movement and social service.
However, those members that the state government has proposed, if nominated, would be ultra vires of the Constitution, they alleged.
The five persons named are active politicians of the ruling party and were either defeated or were denied party tickets in the previous elections, they said.
The BJP leaders also reminded the Governor that the nomination of V Somanna (BJP) in 2010 was rejected by him on the same grounds.
Terming the government`s move as `unfortunate`, they charged it with trying to accommodate persons who were rejected by the people in the hustings.
BJP also alleged that the government was misusing the office of the Governor by undertaking this `unconstitutional move.`
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Singer Shweta Pandit gets married to Italian beau Ivano Fucci
- Nation remembers "Missile Man" APJ Abdul Kalam on his 1st death anniversary
- SHOCKING! Narsingh Yadav wanted to kill himself after dope test fiasco?
- Whoa! Ranbir Kapoor's new house is ready, GUESS who designed it?
- East India's first cadaver liver transplant in Kolkata