BJP asks Governor to reject Karnataka Govt recommendation
Bangalore: BJP`s state unit on Sunday requested Governor H R Bhardwaj to reject the Karnataka Government`s reported recommendation to nominate five party functionaries to the Legislative Council, alleging that it is violation of the Constitution.
A BJP delegation headed by former Chief Minister and Leader of Opposition Jagadish Shettar met the Governor and submitted a memorandum to him, saying they were given to understand that the government has proposed the names to the post of Legislative Council members under Article 171 of the Constitution.
They pointed out that as per the Constitution, members to be nominated are persons having special knowledge or practical experience in literature, science, arts, co-operative movement and social service.
However, those members that the state government has proposed, if nominated, would be ultra vires of the Constitution, they alleged.
The five persons named are active politicians of the ruling party and were either defeated or were denied party tickets in the previous elections, they said.
The BJP leaders also reminded the Governor that the nomination of V Somanna (BJP) in 2010 was rejected by him on the same grounds.
Terming the government`s move as `unfortunate`, they charged it with trying to accommodate persons who were rejected by the people in the hustings.
BJP also alleged that the government was misusing the office of the Governor by undertaking this `unconstitutional move.`
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Mumbai High court allows entry of women in Haji Ali Dargah
- DNA: Analysis of fraudulent doctor in Noida treating patients with wrong treatment
- DNA: Analyzing Balochistan's citizens struggle for freedom
- DNA: Two Syrian boys grieving death of brother killed in airstrike
- DNA: Analyzing world's first driverless taxi developed by Singapore company
- School dropout biggest crisis in India, says Singapore Deputy PM
- Italy quake death toll hits 278, state funeral planned
- Jigisha killer Ravi Kapoor convicted in taxi-driver murder case
- Records aside, US Open getting personal for Serena Williams
- World Risk Report 2016: India ranks 77th in world disaster risk index