Cauvery irrigation corporation appeals to farmers to end protest for water
Bangalore: The Cauvery Niravari Nigam Limited (irrigation corporation) on Saturday requested the farmers living in the river belt to end their protest and cooperate with the Water Resources Department by withdrawing their demand for release of available water into the Vishveswaraya Canal.
CNNL Managing Director K Jaiprakash told reporters that the Indian Meteorological Department has predicted a deficit monsoon and advised to use the available storages in the reservoirs judiciously to cater to the drinking water needs.
The present storage available in the Krishnarajasagara reservoir is barely adequate to meet the drinking water requirements of Mysore, Srirangapatna, Mandya, Bangalore and other places for the next three months, he said.
"If the available water is utilised for irrigation, there would be a possibility of water famine for drinking purposes."
The usual practice followed after water for the summer crops is stopped on May 31 is to start releasing of water into the canals during the third week of July soon after the reservoir level reaches 110 feet, Jaiprakash said.
The level of water in KRS reservoir as of today is 80.98 feet and the water that can be utilised is only 2.84 TMC. The rainfall in the catchment area of KRS has reduced considerably and the inflow into the reservoir is only 2,060 cusecs, Jaiprakash said.
He said in the Irrigation Consultative Committee (ICC) meeting held on November 22, 2013, it was decided to release water in the canal for the summer crops up to May 2014.
"Thereafter, a public notice was issued requesting the farmers to use the water judiciously for the standing sugarcane crops and for rabi semi-dry crops," he said.
In the ICC meeting held on June 6 it was decided to take up the rehabilitation works of the damaged Hulikere tunnel and complete it before July 31 and to release water into the canals under KRS reservoir from the first week of August 2014 depending on the storage position of the reservoir, Jaiprakash said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam