Cauvery irrigation corporation appeals to farmers to end protest for water
Bangalore: The Cauvery Niravari Nigam Limited (irrigation corporation) on Saturday requested the farmers living in the river belt to end their protest and cooperate with the Water Resources Department by withdrawing their demand for release of available water into the Vishveswaraya Canal.
CNNL Managing Director K Jaiprakash told reporters that the Indian Meteorological Department has predicted a deficit monsoon and advised to use the available storages in the reservoirs judiciously to cater to the drinking water needs.
The present storage available in the Krishnarajasagara reservoir is barely adequate to meet the drinking water requirements of Mysore, Srirangapatna, Mandya, Bangalore and other places for the next three months, he said.
"If the available water is utilised for irrigation, there would be a possibility of water famine for drinking purposes."
The usual practice followed after water for the summer crops is stopped on May 31 is to start releasing of water into the canals during the third week of July soon after the reservoir level reaches 110 feet, Jaiprakash said.
The level of water in KRS reservoir as of today is 80.98 feet and the water that can be utilised is only 2.84 TMC. The rainfall in the catchment area of KRS has reduced considerably and the inflow into the reservoir is only 2,060 cusecs, Jaiprakash said.
He said in the Irrigation Consultative Committee (ICC) meeting held on November 22, 2013, it was decided to release water in the canal for the summer crops up to May 2014.
"Thereafter, a public notice was issued requesting the farmers to use the water judiciously for the standing sugarcane crops and for rabi semi-dry crops," he said.
In the ICC meeting held on June 6 it was decided to take up the rehabilitation works of the damaged Hulikere tunnel and complete it before July 31 and to release water into the canals under KRS reservoir from the first week of August 2014 depending on the storage position of the reservoir, Jaiprakash said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why