Communalism takes wings whenever Congress is in power: Deve Gowda
Bangalore: Former Prime Minister H D Deve Gowda on Sunday alleged that communal elements raised their heads during Congress rule in Karnataka.
"We have seen earlier in the state that whenever Congress is in power, the communal elements take wings. This is because of the wrong policies of the party that stokes communal tension," he told reporters here.
The statement comes in the wake of a communal clash in Chikamagalur yesterday as large number of people took to the streets following alleged desecration of a religious place in the town.
The JDS leader asked the Congress government to take strict action against those responsible for the communal clash.
Gowda also threatened to launch an agitation if the government failed to arrest the culprits. The communal elements have to be curbed in districts like Dakshin Kannada, Chikmagalur and Udupi, he said.
He also castigated BJP for fomenting communal disharmony in the state.
On the recent Nanded Express mishap, in which 26 people were charred to death yesterday, Gowda said the railway authorities should dismantle old bogies and introduce new ones to avoid similar tragedies in future.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- Arvind Kejriwal got in IIT- Kharagpur through fake quota? Subramanian Swamy to reveal soon
- Hope more Indian A-listers take chances in Hollywood: Deepika Padukone
- US official: Investigators can't download EgyptAir recorders
- 100% FDI in defence need of the hour: Venkaiah Naidu
- Will renew myself with each film: Alia Bhatt