Communalism takes wings whenever Congress is in power: Deve Gowda
Bangalore: Former Prime Minister H D Deve Gowda on Sunday alleged that communal elements raised their heads during Congress rule in Karnataka.
"We have seen earlier in the state that whenever Congress is in power, the communal elements take wings. This is because of the wrong policies of the party that stokes communal tension," he told reporters here.
The statement comes in the wake of a communal clash in Chikamagalur yesterday as large number of people took to the streets following alleged desecration of a religious place in the town.
The JDS leader asked the Congress government to take strict action against those responsible for the communal clash.
Gowda also threatened to launch an agitation if the government failed to arrest the culprits. The communal elements have to be curbed in districts like Dakshin Kannada, Chikmagalur and Udupi, he said.
He also castigated BJP for fomenting communal disharmony in the state.
On the recent Nanded Express mishap, in which 26 people were charred to death yesterday, Gowda said the railway authorities should dismantle old bogies and introduce new ones to avoid similar tragedies in future.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur