Congress commences "Bellary chalao" padayatra
Bangalore: Congress on Sunday kickstarted its 320-km `Bellary Chalo Padayatra` from the city to highlight "failure" of the BJP government in Karnataka on various
issues, including illegal mining.
The `padayatra` from Bangalore to Bellary was aimed at protecting Karnataka from the "misrule" of the government and to highlight plundering of natural resources, Congress leaders said.
The `padayatra` is in response to a challenge thrown by BJP Bellary ministers Janaradhana Reddy, Karunakara Reddy and Sriramulu daring the Congress to step into Bellary.
Congress had directed its workers from 15 assembly constituencies to participate in the programme.
The party leaders had met Karnataka governor HR Bhardwaj yesterday seeking protection for the padayatra as they said they feared BJP would try to disrupt the programme.
The padayatra will culminate at Bellary in a rally on August 9, coinciding with `Quit India Movement` day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie