Congress commences "Bellary chalao" padayatra
Bangalore: Congress on Sunday kickstarted its 320-km `Bellary Chalo Padayatra` from the city to highlight "failure" of the BJP government in Karnataka on various
issues, including illegal mining.
The `padayatra` from Bangalore to Bellary was aimed at protecting Karnataka from the "misrule" of the government and to highlight plundering of natural resources, Congress leaders said.
The `padayatra` is in response to a challenge thrown by BJP Bellary ministers Janaradhana Reddy, Karunakara Reddy and Sriramulu daring the Congress to step into Bellary.
Congress had directed its workers from 15 assembly constituencies to participate in the programme.
The party leaders had met Karnataka governor HR Bhardwaj yesterday seeking protection for the padayatra as they said they feared BJP would try to disrupt the programme.
The padayatra will culminate at Bellary in a rally on August 9, coinciding with `Quit India Movement` day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part II
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam -Part III
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part IV
- DNA : Why BJP is linking Rahul Gandhi to AgustaWestland scam
- India rejects USCIRF report on intolerance, says Constitution guarantees right to freedom of religion
- Gold price rises further to Rs 30,250 per 10 grams
- India's tour of Zimbabwe: Men in Blue to play three ODIs, three T20Is in June
- NEET 2016: SC asks MCI to respond to state governments' plea to hold separate exams this year
- Uber users can soon pay for rides abroad using Paytm wallet