Congress commences "Bellary chalao" padayatra
Bangalore: Congress on Sunday kickstarted its 320-km `Bellary Chalo Padayatra` from the city to highlight "failure" of the BJP government in Karnataka on various
issues, including illegal mining.
The `padayatra` from Bangalore to Bellary was aimed at protecting Karnataka from the "misrule" of the government and to highlight plundering of natural resources, Congress leaders said.
The `padayatra` is in response to a challenge thrown by BJP Bellary ministers Janaradhana Reddy, Karunakara Reddy and Sriramulu daring the Congress to step into Bellary.
Congress had directed its workers from 15 assembly constituencies to participate in the programme.
The party leaders had met Karnataka governor HR Bhardwaj yesterday seeking protection for the padayatra as they said they feared BJP would try to disrupt the programme.
The padayatra will culminate at Bellary in a rally on August 9, coinciding with `Quit India Movement` day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Welspun India hires Ernst & Young to probe US export lapses
- BIZARRE PUNISHMENT! Kim Jong-Un to make North Korean athletes, who could not win medals in Rio Olympics, work in coal mines?
- OP Jaisha's illness delays Sports Ministry probe into official apathy
- Subramanian Swamy moves SC for urgent hearing on plea against ban on CSK
- Leander Paes, Andre Begemann knock out top seeds in ATP Winston-Salem Open