Congress commences "Bellary chalao" padayatra
Bangalore: Congress on Sunday kickstarted its 320-km `Bellary Chalo Padayatra` from the city to highlight "failure" of the BJP government in Karnataka on various
issues, including illegal mining.
The `padayatra` from Bangalore to Bellary was aimed at protecting Karnataka from the "misrule" of the government and to highlight plundering of natural resources, Congress leaders said.
The `padayatra` is in response to a challenge thrown by BJP Bellary ministers Janaradhana Reddy, Karunakara Reddy and Sriramulu daring the Congress to step into Bellary.
Congress had directed its workers from 15 assembly constituencies to participate in the programme.
The party leaders had met Karnataka governor HR Bhardwaj yesterday seeking protection for the padayatra as they said they feared BJP would try to disrupt the programme.
The padayatra will culminate at Bellary in a rally on August 9, coinciding with `Quit India Movement` day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?