Congress commences "Bellary chalao" padayatra
Bangalore: Congress on Sunday kickstarted its 320-km `Bellary Chalo Padayatra` from the city to highlight "failure" of the BJP government in Karnataka on various
issues, including illegal mining.
The `padayatra` from Bangalore to Bellary was aimed at protecting Karnataka from the "misrule" of the government and to highlight plundering of natural resources, Congress leaders said.
The `padayatra` is in response to a challenge thrown by BJP Bellary ministers Janaradhana Reddy, Karunakara Reddy and Sriramulu daring the Congress to step into Bellary.
Congress had directed its workers from 15 assembly constituencies to participate in the programme.
The party leaders had met Karnataka governor HR Bhardwaj yesterday seeking protection for the padayatra as they said they feared BJP would try to disrupt the programme.
The padayatra will culminate at Bellary in a rally on August 9, coinciding with `Quit India Movement` day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon