Day 2: Rescue efforts continue to pull out boy trapped in borewell
Bagalkot: Rescue efforts were on for the second day on Monday to pull out a six-year-old boy trapped in an abandoned borewell at a farm in nearby Sulikeri village with no clue yet about his condition.
In a joint operation, teams from National Disaster Relief Force, nearby Hutti gold mines and fire brigade struggled to rescue Thimmanna Hatti, reportedly stuck at a depth of 160 feet in the 300 feet borewell.
Attempts to pull out the boy using a robot yielded no result as it hit a rock at a depth of about 140 feet, police and district officials present at the site said.
In parallel, a pit-cum-tunnel in L shape is being dug to gain access to Thimmanna who fell into the borewell yesterday in his father`s sugarcane field while he was with his cousin.
Deputy Commissioner P A Meghannanavar said the robot attempt had failed and it would take about five days to dig the pit and tunnel to reach the boy, who was being supplied oxygen to keep him alive.
As hundreds of people from the neighbouring areas gathered at Sulikere inhabited by about 2,500 people, police had to resort to mild laticharge to keep them in control as their movement impeded the rescue operations at times.
IGP (Belgaum Range) Bhaskar Rao said he has directed booking cases against the Gram Panchayat Project Development Officer and Assistant Executive Engineer on charge of negligence leading to the incident.
He said instructions had been issued to all police stations in the range to get affidavits filed by Gram Panchayats after survey that there are no open borewells.
District-in-charge minister S R Patil and senior officials of district administration and police are camping at the site overseeing the operation which continued overnight.
In Bangalore, Home Minister K J George told reporters that
strict action will be taken against borewell owners, borewell companies and concerned Gram Panchayat officials who do not take steps to close open borewells.
George said all efforts were on to rescue the boy.
The incident comes even as the government had only recently issued guidelines for taking measures to prevent cases of children falling into open borewells.
According to the guidelines issued by the Rural Development and Panchayati Raj department, July 15 was the deadline for closing open borewells. Government has now set August 30 as the new deadline to submit reports on action taken to close open borewells.
This is the second incident after the one on June 17, when a four-year-old girl fell into an open borewell at Nagathana village near neighbouring Bijapur and was found dead after a 50-hour-long rescue operation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand