Emergency-like situation in Belgaum: Uddhav
Thane: In the backdrop of Karnataka
government dissolving the Belgaum Corporation recently, Shiv
Sena executive president Uddhav Thackeray on Monday said an
"emergency-like" situation prevails in that city and vowed to
fight for protecting interest of Marathi-speaking people in
the neighbouring state.
"Irony is that the civic body elected by the citizens
of Belgaum has been superseded and this is nothing but an
emergency, worst then the one which was imposed by late prime
minister Indira Gandhi," Uddhav told reporters after
inaugurating a theatre complex, named after veteran Marathi
actor late Dr Kashinath Ghanekar here.
Reiterating his party`s resolve to stand by the
Marathi-speaking people in Karnataka, Uddhav said Sena would
soon announce its action plan that includes statewide
agitations and Maharashtra bandh, besides a march to Delhi on
Replying to a query on Shiv Sena`s view on its
alliance partner BJP which is currently at the helm of affairs
in Karnataka, Uddhav said,"one should understand that the
cause was for the Marathi-speaking people and nothing else".
Karnataka government recently superseded Belgaum
Corporation for not performing its functions in accordance
with the Karnataka Municipal Corporation Act 1976, and for
certain actions that "offended the sentiments" of the people.
The city mayor and deputy mayor had observed Karnataka
foundation day on November 1 as "black day". The civic body
had also passed a resolution stating that it will not hold
civic reception to honour the Jnanpith awardee Chandrasekhara
Kambara, which had triggered protest in other parts of the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened