Former Customs Deputy Commissioner arrested from Bangalore
Kochi: CBI on Tuesday arrested KS Chandrasekhar, former Customs Deputy Commissioner in connection with misappropriation of an electronics goods consignment sent from Kuwait in 2008.
The arrest was made in Banglore, CBI sources here said.
Chandrasekhar is the first accused in the case.
The CBI had on Jan 5 this year filed an FIR against two former Customs officials and a then Preventive officer for criminal breach of trust and misusing of official position for forging documents and taking possession of electronics goods-- a Plasma Television, a sound system and Mounting brackets --worth Rs one lakh sent from Kuwait during 2008-09.
The FIR was filed against Chandrasekhar, former Customs superintendent M P Savithri and then Preventive officer PRP Panicker in the CBI court here.
All the three were posted at nearby Nedumbassery airport. Savithri and Panicker are alleged to have helped Chandrasekhar forge documents and take possession of the electronic goods sent by an NRI hailing from Thrissur.
The addressee refused to take the consignment after a duty of Rs one lakh was levied, the sources said.
Instead of auctioning the consignment, containing Plasma Television and Home theatre and other electronic goods, Chandrasekhar took away the consignment after remitting a meagre amount as duty.
CBI launched a probe after receiving information in this regard. A case was registered under Sections 409, 477A of IPC, 120 B(Criminal conspiracy) and 13(1)(d) of the Prevention of Corruption act.
The electronics goods were recovered following a raid at Chandrasekhar`s residence in Bangalore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says