Former Customs Deputy Commissioner arrested from Bangalore
Kochi: CBI on Tuesday arrested KS Chandrasekhar, former Customs Deputy Commissioner in connection with misappropriation of an electronics goods consignment sent from Kuwait in 2008.
The arrest was made in Banglore, CBI sources here said.
Chandrasekhar is the first accused in the case.
The CBI had on Jan 5 this year filed an FIR against two former Customs officials and a then Preventive officer for criminal breach of trust and misusing of official position for forging documents and taking possession of electronics goods-- a Plasma Television, a sound system and Mounting brackets --worth Rs one lakh sent from Kuwait during 2008-09.
The FIR was filed against Chandrasekhar, former Customs superintendent M P Savithri and then Preventive officer PRP Panicker in the CBI court here.
All the three were posted at nearby Nedumbassery airport. Savithri and Panicker are alleged to have helped Chandrasekhar forge documents and take possession of the electronic goods sent by an NRI hailing from Thrissur.
The addressee refused to take the consignment after a duty of Rs one lakh was levied, the sources said.
Instead of auctioning the consignment, containing Plasma Television and Home theatre and other electronic goods, Chandrasekhar took away the consignment after remitting a meagre amount as duty.
CBI launched a probe after receiving information in this regard. A case was registered under Sections 409, 477A of IPC, 120 B(Criminal conspiracy) and 13(1)(d) of the Prevention of Corruption act.
The electronics goods were recovered following a raid at Chandrasekhar`s residence in Bangalore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam