Former Customs Deputy Commissioner arrested from Bangalore
Kochi: CBI on Tuesday arrested KS Chandrasekhar, former Customs Deputy Commissioner in connection with misappropriation of an electronics goods consignment sent from Kuwait in 2008.
The arrest was made in Banglore, CBI sources here said.
Chandrasekhar is the first accused in the case.
The CBI had on Jan 5 this year filed an FIR against two former Customs officials and a then Preventive officer for criminal breach of trust and misusing of official position for forging documents and taking possession of electronics goods-- a Plasma Television, a sound system and Mounting brackets --worth Rs one lakh sent from Kuwait during 2008-09.
The FIR was filed against Chandrasekhar, former Customs superintendent M P Savithri and then Preventive officer PRP Panicker in the CBI court here.
All the three were posted at nearby Nedumbassery airport. Savithri and Panicker are alleged to have helped Chandrasekhar forge documents and take possession of the electronic goods sent by an NRI hailing from Thrissur.
The addressee refused to take the consignment after a duty of Rs one lakh was levied, the sources said.
Instead of auctioning the consignment, containing Plasma Television and Home theatre and other electronic goods, Chandrasekhar took away the consignment after remitting a meagre amount as duty.
CBI launched a probe after receiving information in this regard. A case was registered under Sections 409, 477A of IPC, 120 B(Criminal conspiracy) and 13(1)(d) of the Prevention of Corruption act.
The electronics goods were recovered following a raid at Chandrasekhar`s residence in Bangalore.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?