Govt directed to identify 5 landfill sites around in Bangalore
Bangalore: Pulling up the government for not taking immediate action over the issue of garbage disposal in the city, the Karnataka High Court today directed the government to identify five more landfill sites around Bangalore within two weeks.
Hearing a PIL filed by advocate G R Mohan seeking superseding of Bruhat Bangalore Mahanagara Palike (civic body) over the issue, a division bench headed by Chief Justice Vikramajit Sen said, "what is the government doing? Is it not obvious that there is a need for a landfill, is the government looking for a request from the BBMP?.....Indicate areas which will be eventually taking it (garbage). Sites have to been identified".
The Chief Justice said, "It is a matter of concern that the government has yet has not looked into the problem....It is obvious that more sites are required for receiving waste generated in the city. The learned Additional Government Advocate is directed to locate at least five sites around Bangalore within two weeks before the next date of hearing".
Earlier, rapping the government for just "sitting on the problem", the Chief Justice observed "it is most unfortunate to see the problem and not react to it ...This is not governance".
On BBMP Commissioner Rajneesh Goel`s submission that they were working on roadmaps to solve the problem and needed at least two months time to do so, the Chief Justice observed "you are talking about roadmaps, there will be no roads left in sometime. What are the immediate steps form today or tomorrow? What is the solution".
The court further directed the BBMP to identify the agency which will help ensure disposal of garbage generated by bulk generators.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case