Govt directed to identify 5 landfill sites around in Bangalore
Bangalore: Pulling up the government for not taking immediate action over the issue of garbage disposal in the city, the Karnataka High Court today directed the government to identify five more landfill sites around Bangalore within two weeks.
Hearing a PIL filed by advocate G R Mohan seeking superseding of Bruhat Bangalore Mahanagara Palike (civic body) over the issue, a division bench headed by Chief Justice Vikramajit Sen said, "what is the government doing? Is it not obvious that there is a need for a landfill, is the government looking for a request from the BBMP?.....Indicate areas which will be eventually taking it (garbage). Sites have to been identified".
The Chief Justice said, "It is a matter of concern that the government has yet has not looked into the problem....It is obvious that more sites are required for receiving waste generated in the city. The learned Additional Government Advocate is directed to locate at least five sites around Bangalore within two weeks before the next date of hearing".
Earlier, rapping the government for just "sitting on the problem", the Chief Justice observed "it is most unfortunate to see the problem and not react to it ...This is not governance".
On BBMP Commissioner Rajneesh Goel`s submission that they were working on roadmaps to solve the problem and needed at least two months time to do so, the Chief Justice observed "you are talking about roadmaps, there will be no roads left in sometime. What are the immediate steps form today or tomorrow? What is the solution".
The court further directed the BBMP to identify the agency which will help ensure disposal of garbage generated by bulk generators.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends