HC reserves verdict in land scam case against Kumaraswamy
Bangalore: The Karnataka High Court on Tuesday reserved orders on a petition by JDS state president H D Kumaraswamy seeking quashing of a case filed against him for alleged illegal denotification of government land in 2007 when he was the chief minister.
Justice H N Nagamohan Das reserved his judgement after completion of arguments on the petition.
The case was filed by Lokayukta police on a private complaint by one M S Mahadevaswamy before the Lokayukta court alleging illegalities in denotification of three acres of government land here by Kumaraswamy for "pecuniary gain".
Police filed the charge sheet against Kumaraswamy on April 16 accusing him of offences under various IPC sections and the Prevention of Corruption Act.
During the arguments, senior counsel Hazmath Pasha appearing for Kumaraswamy had submitted his client had "not played a corrupt role and the order of denotification of the said land was not intentional.
He had also contended that the order of cognisance by the Lokayukta court "is without any jurisdiction as no sanction has been taken (by the designated authority)".
Counsel for the respondent Palakshaiah argued there was no need for any sanction for offences committed under the Prevention of Corruption Act.
Besides Kumaraswamy, former minister C Chennigappa and two others, the erstwhile owners of the land, have been charged under various sections of IPC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org