HC reserves verdict in land scam case against Kumaraswamy
Bangalore: The Karnataka High Court on Tuesday reserved orders on a petition by JDS state president H D Kumaraswamy seeking quashing of a case filed against him for alleged illegal denotification of government land in 2007 when he was the chief minister.
Justice H N Nagamohan Das reserved his judgement after completion of arguments on the petition.
The case was filed by Lokayukta police on a private complaint by one M S Mahadevaswamy before the Lokayukta court alleging illegalities in denotification of three acres of government land here by Kumaraswamy for "pecuniary gain".
Police filed the charge sheet against Kumaraswamy on April 16 accusing him of offences under various IPC sections and the Prevention of Corruption Act.
During the arguments, senior counsel Hazmath Pasha appearing for Kumaraswamy had submitted his client had "not played a corrupt role and the order of denotification of the said land was not intentional.
He had also contended that the order of cognisance by the Lokayukta court "is without any jurisdiction as no sanction has been taken (by the designated authority)".
Counsel for the respondent Palakshaiah argued there was no need for any sanction for offences committed under the Prevention of Corruption Act.
Besides Kumaraswamy, former minister C Chennigappa and two others, the erstwhile owners of the land, have been charged under various sections of IPC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH