Illegal mining case: MLA sent to seven day CBI custody
Bangalore: The CBI special court on Saturday remanded independent MLA Satish Sail, arrested in a case relating to alleged illegal export of iron ore from Belikeri port in Karnataka, to seven days CBI custody.
Sail, owner of Mallikarjuna Shipping Corporation, was produced before the court, which allowed a CBI plea seeking his custody, a CBI official said here.
An MLA from Karwar, Sail was arrested yesterday following his interrogation by the CBI.
He is the second MLA to be remanded in the case this week.
The court yesterday had sent BSR Congress MLA Suresh Babu to judicial custody till September 27.
The scam was exposed by former Karnataka Lokayukta N Santosh Hegde, who in his report, had said 7.74 million tonnes of iron ore were illegally exported between 2006-07 and 2010-11, causing huge loss to the exchequer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!
- 4th ODI: South Africa vs England - Hosts win game by solitary wicket to level series