Karnataka: 200 tonnes of iron ore seized
Bellary: In continuing search and seizures of illegally mined iron ore after the July 29 Supreme Court ban on mining in the district, police have seized 200
tonnes of the mineral valued at Rs 12 lakh near Obulapuram village on the Karnataka-Andhra Pradesh border.
Police said the seizure was effected last night on a tip off that a trader from Karnataka had stored the material there.
On July 29, the apex court had ordered immediate suspension
of mining and transportation of iron ore from Bellary district
saying "over-exploitation" of the area has caused large-scale
The court passed the order by taking note of its expert panel, Central Empowered Committee, which said most miners in the region were indulging in illegal mining causing considerable environmental damage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi lays foundation stone of IARI at Barhi: As it happened
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report