Karnataka: 200 tonnes of iron ore seized
Bellary: In continuing search and seizures of illegally mined iron ore after the July 29 Supreme Court ban on mining in the district, police have seized 200
tonnes of the mineral valued at Rs 12 lakh near Obulapuram village on the Karnataka-Andhra Pradesh border.
Police said the seizure was effected last night on a tip off that a trader from Karnataka had stored the material there.
On July 29, the apex court had ordered immediate suspension
of mining and transportation of iron ore from Bellary district
saying "over-exploitation" of the area has caused large-scale
The court passed the order by taking note of its expert panel, Central Empowered Committee, which said most miners in the region were indulging in illegal mining causing considerable environmental damage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Beyonce dominates MTV Video Music Awards 2016
- Five reasons why you should take a brisk walk every single day!
- Sushma Swaraj calls on Myanmar President
- HEINOUS! Woman set on fire in Delhi for allegedly rejecting marriage proposal
- Expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa says she will not resign from Rajya Sabha