Karnataka bypolls: Congress storms JD-S bastion, wins two LS seats
Bangalore: Storming the JD-S bastion, the ruling Congress in Karnataka on Saturday won the Mandya and Bangalore Rural Lok Sabha seats with impressive margins.
Multi-lingual actress Ramya, making her electoral debut, trounced JD(S) candidate C S Puttaraju in Mandya by a margin of 67,611 votes, officials said.
In Bangalore Rural, D K Suresh (Cong) registered an impressive victory bagging the seat with a margin of around 1,37,000 votes against his opponent Anitha Kumaraswamy, wife of former Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy. The seat was held by Kumaraswamy who resigned it after becoming an MLA in the May Assembly polls.
The Congress, which marked 100th day of its rule early this week, has wrested both the seats from JDS from its bastion in the Vokkaliga belt.
Both Ramya and Suresh maintained convincing leads right from the beginning as the counting of votes for the by-polls held on August 21 was taken up this morning and gradually increased the lead to unassailable levels.
Congress and JD-S had fought bitterly in the run-up to the election, making it a no-holds-barred attack against each other.
BJP, which lost power in Assembly polls and does not count for much in the region, had backed JD-S candidates in the two segments, which the Congress had dubbed "an unholy alliance."
The by-poll to Mandya was necessitated following the resignation of N Cheluvarayaswamy after he became MLA.
Suresh is the brother of senior Congress leader and MLA D K Shivakumar.
JD-S had won five of the eight Assembly seats in Mandya district in the May elections.
In Bangalore Rural, where Kumaraswamy had won by 1.3 lakh votes in the 2009 Lok Sabha polls, Congress had secured the support of Samajwadi Party MLA, CP Yogeeshwara, who had defeated Anita Kumaraswamy in the May polls.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read