Karnataka bypolls: Congress storms JD-S bastion, wins two LS seats
Bangalore: Storming the JD-S bastion, the ruling Congress in Karnataka on Saturday won the Mandya and Bangalore Rural Lok Sabha seats with impressive margins.
Multi-lingual actress Ramya, making her electoral debut, trounced JD(S) candidate C S Puttaraju in Mandya by a margin of 67,611 votes, officials said.
In Bangalore Rural, D K Suresh (Cong) registered an impressive victory bagging the seat with a margin of around 1,37,000 votes against his opponent Anitha Kumaraswamy, wife of former Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy. The seat was held by Kumaraswamy who resigned it after becoming an MLA in the May Assembly polls.
The Congress, which marked 100th day of its rule early this week, has wrested both the seats from JDS from its bastion in the Vokkaliga belt.
Both Ramya and Suresh maintained convincing leads right from the beginning as the counting of votes for the by-polls held on August 21 was taken up this morning and gradually increased the lead to unassailable levels.
Congress and JD-S had fought bitterly in the run-up to the election, making it a no-holds-barred attack against each other.
BJP, which lost power in Assembly polls and does not count for much in the region, had backed JD-S candidates in the two segments, which the Congress had dubbed "an unholy alliance."
The by-poll to Mandya was necessitated following the resignation of N Cheluvarayaswamy after he became MLA.
Suresh is the brother of senior Congress leader and MLA D K Shivakumar.
JD-S had won five of the eight Assembly seats in Mandya district in the May elections.
In Bangalore Rural, where Kumaraswamy had won by 1.3 lakh votes in the 2009 Lok Sabha polls, Congress had secured the support of Samajwadi Party MLA, CP Yogeeshwara, who had defeated Anita Kumaraswamy in the May polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre